• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting shot out of a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for a smoothbore 20 or 12 ga
I would like to find a kit or a used one.
Cant spend a whole lot right now.
It can be percussion or flintlock.

Any Ideas??

Have you considered a drop in barrel? I think it was Windwalker who mentioned a 28 guage barrel on a Lyman Trade RIfle in another thread. Is that right?

Mr. Flash_In_The_Pan,
Yes, we purchased a 28ga Green Mt barrel for our Trade Rifle but can't recommend doing business with them at this time. We seem to have hit a snag in getting our barrel certified as safe to shoot. Hope to resolve this matter by next week and have things back on track.
Best Wishes

Yes, Stumpy, That's also a choke tube as well as a device to stop the spin. It should be in place when any sort of shot load is used.

I have shot shot out of a .577 Enfield Muskatoon. Use a felt wad of 58cal over powder, a 28ga. plastic cup and a over shot wad of 58 cal. Inside the shot cup I put a taped tube formed from file folder that has been rolled one time and taped (scotch tape) on a 6.5x55 . This holds the shot and keeps it from blowing the pattern. This holds together quite nicely out to about 20 yards, good if you are out with the .577 looking for big game and decide that you are going to have better luck with chickens or bunnies.

All I know is my Grandfather told me if I wanted to ruin a good barrel that was the way to do it.That was about 65 years ago but I never forgot it.There are ton of good guns out there that will allow you to change barrels real easy.Maybe get another barrel for your traditions and get it drilled out.

Back