• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper c

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone carry a shooting stick with you while hunting, to support your muzzleloader when making a shot on game? :confused:

I use too,
had a nice straight cedar branch I cut off and left a "Y" at the end, bout tall enough for a steady standing shot. Found I never used it, and it was kind of a PITA to carry along.
I guess I've just learned to pass on the shot if it's not a good one because of distance and/or steady enough,,
Kinda stopped measureing success of the hunt by the weight of the game bag awhile back now, :idunno:

I have been experimenting the last couple years with a home made branch also, and I agree with necchi, probably more touble than its worth. I will use it again this deer season and it will either work or become kindling! I use it mostly because of the steep terrian as a walking stick, but with a flintlock long rifle it is sometimes a PITA !!

Things are real steep around here and the grass is over 6' tall for much of the year in the lowlands. I've used a walking stick for years, and sometimes it's the most convenient way (or only way) to steady a gun for a difficult shot. Head up or down a steep slope, much less crosshill on a slick slope, and you'll be sure to carry one on your next hunt. Add a deer to your pack and start walking downhill, and it will pay for itself too.

I make mine slightly over shoulder high, which puts the forehand at the right height to support a gun on level ground and helps a bit on uneven.

I'll pass on the easiest way I found to use one as a shooting support: Grab it at the right height, then rotate your hand so your fingers are on the side facing you. Now raise your thumb to form a "V" between it and the top of the staff.

If you really want to help, shove the tip into soft ground. Wanna really impress yourself, try adding the stick to your stance while shooting from a sitting position. Rest the flats of your elbows on your knees then clasp the forend and the stick. It's as close to benchrest as you're ever going to get with a field rest.

Where i hunt here in Ohio, it's mostly open fields and small woodlots, so i spend all my time in the woods. I always use a tree or such as a rest. On the occasions that i'm in or near a field, usually groundhog hunting, and need a rest, i just pull out the ramrod and use it. Sometimes kneeling, sometimes sitting. Works fine for me!

I won shooting sticks (the sitting down type) this year at a shoot as a blanket prize so I think I'll use them. From what I've used them for they make me almost as good as shooting off a bench. It'll make those longer shots feel more confident for me I figure.

I have a pair of 4' oak crossed-sticks with large nails in the lower tips. I use those small-game hunting. Occasionally I carry a 6' staff for a brace when squirrel hunting. I have also found a 36" ash livestock hook/cane is handy as you can hook it over an overhead branch and use it for elevated shots.

But when deer hunting I either sit and rest across my knees or find a tree to lean against. The woods are full of well-anchored shooting sticks.

I carried one about five feet long on a flintlock elk hunt in the Book Cliffs two years ago. Mostly for resting my binocs against, helping climb steep hills, but hopefully for shooting standing. My 36" barreled .58 fullstock flintlock Hawken I built was a little short for resting my binocs against the stock near the muzzle. The stick was noisy, one more thing to sneak through the brush with, and so I quit using it. I don't intend to use one on my bull elk hunt in the Uintahs this November, same rifle, but some of that terrain looks really steep. We'll see...

I hunt where there are lots of trees, and when there's a meadow, I sit. Don't need a stick I tried it ONCE.

I never carried one, never thought about carrying one, and if I did, I'm pretty sure after an hour into the hunt, it would be sailing through the air. :haha:

Point being, if you really don't need it, why carry it? I've learned over the years that I like myself alot better if I stick to carrying just the bare minimum to get me through the day. Maybe something extra for emergencies, and to cut and haul game, but anything else that's brought along for the ride just tends to make me mad at myself for bringing it.

Plus, almost all of the shots I take at game are "right now", no time to coordinate a stick and a rifle. I figure if I can't hold the rifle steady offhand long enough to make a good shot, I need a lighter rifle. Also, if you do need to make a quick offhand shot, what are you going to do with that stick in your other hand? Drop it or try to hold it? Decide fast, cuz that deer is going to bolt any second!

Then again, this is just my personal hunting style, we all hunt differently in different conditions and evironments. If you don't plan on walking all day, and you expect shots that allow time for the set-up, a shooting stick might work for you. Also, if you are unable to hold the rifle steady due to physical reasons, a stick may be your answer. Mainly, I wanted to throw in some things to think about. Good luck. Bill.

Probably 90% of my hunting is done from my CATV and one isn't needed but there are times I find myself sitting out somewhere, usually in a ground blind and in this situation I need and use shooting sticks.

I can't shoot for squat using a stick. There are always plenty of trees around, anyway. If no trees are handy I always drop to a kneeling position.

Back