• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here use a shooting stick when deer hunting.
Plan on using one while in my ground blind this deer season.
Any pros or cons on them?

A German fellow I guided last year shot a 47 inch moose, moments before the shot I cut a forked willow to use as a rest!

I use one all the time, whether or not I put it into play for the shot. It's basically a shoulder-high walking stick and invaluable in our rugged terrain. But when the grass is tall (usually) there's nothing like it for steadying an offhand shot. Seated as you propose, or kneeling, it's even better. I can get derned close to benchrest accuracy with my butt on the ground, elbows on knees and the forend rested on the hand holding the stick at just the right height. I've found it best to wrap my fingers around the stick, hold my thumb out, and rest the forend between thumb and stick. For best results, don't squeeze them together. If you want to get REALLY steady, it doesn't hurt to have a pointy end on your stick, and to shove that into the ground before resting for a shot.

Works so well for me, I just can't bring myself to carry yet another stick for official "crossed sticks" a lotta guys swear by.

I made them out of hard wood dowels. First I drilled out the ends and put arrow inserts into the ends and used JB weld to glue them in. Then for the feet I used screw in archery field points, either the big hard plastic “rubber” type or I can use the pointed metal tips. Depending on what I am doing I can change them.
I finished the wood and sealed it to keep out the moisture. Then I drilled the top and added gun sling swivel studs. Then I made a leather strap with a set of uncle mikes sling swivels. This gives me a leather spot to lay my gun in and it won’t allow the sticks to be over spread. I also use the strap to attach it to my back pack.
Last I added mole skin to quiet the sticks down. I have killed an antelope buck using them in a ground blind. They are just under 4’ long. My son is practicing with them for his deer and antelope hunt this year. He is shooting great with them. Ron

Xsticks3.jpg

Xsticks2.jpg

Xsticks1.jpg

Xsticks4.jpg

Jacobshootingoffsticks.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.
Idaho Ron...think I will steal your idea and make me one like yours. Have plenty of spare archery inserts and practise tips around here.
Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Vearl

Long bow ? Got her cousin Mr. Crossbow. Big difference in speed.

Back