• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun for grizzlies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP Muzzleloading is one of my favorite pastimes but there is NO WAY I am trusting Cap nor Flint and Steel to save my A$$ from a charging Grizzly who wants nothing more than to Kill and Eat Me, what a horrible fate. Then it would be why don’t he write or call anymore. LOL

I'll let you know once I get down from this tree!
Griz has been known to take the tree down. 🤣
I don't want to be that close enough to spray the monster! Would have a 10mm on my belt if going there!
Just the other day I read an article about a bowhunter in Montana or maybe Wyoming who was attacked by a griz. He shot it several times with a 10 and then got a shot to the head that killed the bear. He got chewed up pretty bad.

If I remember right, sometimes back in the 70's or 80's somewhere in Oregon or Washington a greenie had himself chained to a tree to protest logging. Along came a black bear and ate him for breakfast. I'll bet he wished he'd had a pistol, a big one.
And the key and fleet feet.

On Longcruise's comment, I might have read the same article, except I remember two men were bow hunting for elk and one was attacked by a grizzly. Between the two of them they put over 20 pistol rounds in the bear to subdue it. One was fighting the bear and the other was trying to not shoot his buddy while saving him. Don't think a trade gun would cut it.

On Longcruise's comment, I might have read the same article, except I remember two men were bow hunting for elk and one was attacked by a grizzly. Between the two of them they put over 20 pistol rounds in the bear to subdue it. One was fighting the bear and the other was trying to not shoot his buddy while saving him. Don't think a trade gun would cut it.
No, different case. It was in the local paper a few days ago. There were three bowhunters each about 300 yards from each other. The guy in the middle had a griz walk by about 20 yards away. When the griz smelled him it immediately attacked him and started biting him on the thigh. He was screaming and shooting. He did get a shot into it's head and killed it. His two companions heard him screaming and shooting and rushed to his aid but by the time they got there the bear was dead.

Found a link

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/0...-attack-could-have-been-because-of-ammo-grip/

I tell people if they can throw a tennis ball at a wall,and hit it with their pistol, they may have a chance. An old timer told me the best way was to wait until your felt the bears tonsils around your wrist, and start shooting.

Bear spray doesn't always work in wind. Jack Hannah, from the old Wild Kingdom show lives in this area. He found out bear spray isn't worth a damn for stopping a bear in wind. He didn't get ate, but he did need some new undies.

Random thought..

If you were out there. You know grizzly wants to eat you.

Is running at you. You have One shot.

Do you take the 20 yard or so shot when you see the bear coming

Or

Hold it. Holding Hold it till that thing is the length of the gun away or closer.. like your going to powder burn that thing.

Could you Hold it.
A running bear. Let alone a grizzly will plow into you if you wait to long do momentum. My cousin wounded a back bear years ago, and got help to track it down. I put 5 44 mag rounds into it at that distance when it charged me. All rounds hit, and it landed at my feet.

I almost needed to change my underwear. So with black powder. The more distance the better in my book.

I just remember how Merriwether Lewis’s first account of a grizzly bear was his description of killing one and saying that it was no wonder the Indians were afraid ‘armed, as they are, with bows or indifferent fusils… but a competent rifleman has nothing to fear…” And how his second account came after they wounded one that chased him for a mile and had to be shot repeatedly- “I had rather fight two Indians than one grizzly bear.”
🤣
Jay
I read that the expedition shot a bear but didn't kill it making the men jump off a cliff into the water to get away from the bear that was on a rampage? I can't recall where I read this?

Back