• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting to the left

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished another Kibler .58.
It is dirty in the pictures from me shooting a dozen times
Just like the last .58 I put together with the sights centered it hits left. Picture is 3 from 100 yards.
It must be my eyes as I tried several patch thicknesses and different size balls.
80 to 120 grains of powder. It shoots great groups but I had to move the front sight .060 out of center to start punching the center of the target,

I must be holding it funny.

I thought maybe I was flinching but no way I could flinch that consistently

Too hot right now to set fire to a pig but I will put it to work as says the heat let’s up

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
File the right side of the notch in the rear sight.
Before you start filing you should be able to easily drift either the front sight or the rear sight to one side or the other to zero your windage impact. I'd suggest filing should be reserved for elevation impact adjustment only.

Your target pic is not bad at all for 100 yds. Elevation is absolutely spot on. You mentioned drifting the front sight. No problem drifting both front and rear sights. I also think your powder charge might be excessive for that caliber. I've got 70 gr of 2F logged as my "standard load" for my .58 cal Colonial.

Last edited:
I had to move the front sight .060 out of center to start punching the center of the target
Were front and rear sights centered before you started sighting in? If so, you could split the difference and move the front sight back .030” towards center, then bump the rear sight .030”. 1/32” off center sights are barely noticeable, and then only if you are really looking. If the look still bothers you, remove .030” from one side of both the front and rear sight and that .030” offset will be even more difficult to see.

Or just leave things as is if you are happy with the way the gun shoots.

HA HA look at the picture guys he literally has a rear peep on gun. Telling him to drift rear sight or filing it is making me laugh. Literally I don't think people looked at the gun in pics. Edited: OP added same thing as I was typing.

Was being facetious, but if your that aneal about those things then bending a barrel to get the sights to do what you want is not that hard and I'm aneal and I've bent them.

Was being facetious, but if your that aneal about those things then bending a barrel to get the sights to do what you want is not that hard and I'm aneal and I've bent them.
I have never been accused of being facetious, at least during the last 24 hours…..

From personal experience, bent barrels walk from internal stresses as they heat up from a day in the sunshine while shooting. Ok with a fowler or shotgun, but with a precision rifle, nope. In addition to annealing, one may also want to consider cryogenic stress relief, depending on how particular you may be.

I have a similar peep and on mine I just loosen the the screw mounting it to the tang. It swivels easily. It does look like the hinge screw is adjustable for windage and i would check that first.

The one I shot today was bent a few times both for elevation and windage, between 25 and 30 shots at a steady quick pace with different powders and charges and it was hot in NJ. They didn't seem to walk, shot 5 5 shot groups and it was very consistent groups for me, only showing movement as to the different charges and powders. Now these groups were nothing like the op's groups, but were what I'm able the shot with the few flintlocks I have.

I have a similar peep and on mine I just loosen the the screw mounting it to the tang. It swivels easily. It does look like the hinge screw is adjustable for windage and i would check that first.
Just took a close look at the photograph of the peep sight (for whatever reason the photographs weren’t there when I first looked at the post). No way would I trust a sight with a single screw holding it in place. Too easy to bump out if adjustment. Requires a second screw or locking feature like a dovetail. At least to me, that sight setup screams homemade. Wish you luck holding adjustment.

Last edited:
Back