• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting with the Merit Optical sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I`m 61 years young and my eyes arent what they once were..Lately I`ve found my shooting yardage shrinking fast,50 yards was about max for me..Dug out a Merit Optical sight that I bought awhile back and gave it a whirl today..Its a little thingy that attaches to your glasses..Got to playing around at a friends farm to today and this was my target at 125 yadrs sitting on my butt with elblow on my knee holding rifle..Not the best shooting I know but for someone who was limted to 50 yards max this traget made me smile..Now with a lot more practice who knows..Rifle used was a hawken style rifle built by Gary White around 20 years ago refinished by Roy Stroh.. Cal .62 42" GRRW rifled barrel..100 grains of 3F with a .600 ball and a .15 patch 10 shot group
2467582420063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

Thought I`d post a pic of the Merit Sight..Its diopter sight not a telescopic..Anyone who really cant see the sights on their gun may want to give the Merit a try sure works for me

2656918360063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

That's a nice ten shot group. Very nice.
I use a Merit also when I am shooting iron sights in Bullseye matches or the Free pistol. I'll have to try with my GPR now that you've brought the idea to mind.
Pete

For pistol shooting I bought the AHG diopter sight,it also clips to my glasses and is much larger than the Merit..Problem is I never bought a pistol to go with the sight..

2891341350063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

Yep the old focus the eye game. I made a removable folding peep for the tang on my target rifle which serves the same purpose. The old pin hole camera effect to focus at one point. It realy helps the old eyes, but unfortunately they aren't allowed in competation in our area.I have a folding peep on my deer rifle as well. It is out of the way unless I fold it up for a long shot in an open field.

That's a dang good 125 yard group!

I have 20/20 vision and doubt I could shoot a group like that at 125 yards.

:thumbsup:

HD

Rick D, get a pair of the cheap clip on flip up sunglasses and make your own merit disc. drill, cut down to size, remove unwanted lens,spray with flat black paint, better than the merit disc,much cheaper and doesn't smudge your specs. I have been using one of these for 8-10 years and haven't used the merit disc since.
BTW I'm 71 years old, been wearing specs for 65 years and still a pretty fair shot.

regards

TTC

Looks like " minute of moose to me" ,hell I wouldnt want to be a 'possum settin' still at 125.

If you were a bright orange possum I could scare you but doubt I`d hit you..I took 3 guns with me today and went through over a pound of 3F powder..To be honest I`m a tad sore..

If you will use a " sighter" ie, a triangular shaped piece of paper large enough to see with your naked eye, stapled or pinned to that target, with the point of the triangle at either the 6 o'clock position, or at the 12 o'clock position in the target, I am willing to bet the next group of shots will be much smaller. I have used this " sighter " idea with both a scoped rifle, and with open sights, both traditional notch, and peep sights. The sighter always helps reduce my group size, particularly shooting notch rear sights.

I like your idea. I'm 70 and shot today and it was pathedic. What size hole do you drill in the lens. Thanks Ron

Hi Rick,

Yes, us old folks can't focus our eyes like these young bucks, but this helps. One thing I do want to point out to everyone. The Merit Disc does nothing to "sight" the rifle, not to be confused with a peep sight. It only helps old eyes focus on open sights so the shooter can then see good enough to make the shot. None of the clubs around here have a problem with it once they relize the true function. One very traditional type club used to not allow them, but they have now reversed their opinion, realizing they were discriminating against older shooters with an unvalid reason. Hope this helps clearify what it really does, Jim

Thats some nice shooting, I too have eye trouble, wear bifocals. I've found I can shoot better without glasses but am thinking about going to the eye vet and getting glasses with just one power, no bifocals and see if that will help.

Wish twotoes would give a little more info on the flip ups, might be worth a try.

I started a few years ago with a home made aperture that I taped on shooting glasses. It worked. The advantage to using the Merit (which I have used for quite a while now) is that the aperture is adjustable, which makes a big difference in clarity depending on the available light on any given day.

. dec 5 / 0215

rickD,

where did you find that "AHG diopter sight" and how does it work ?

thanks,
~daniel~

Back