• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shopping for band saw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm starting to build a Kentucky pistol from scratch, and the blank is about 2" too wide. I'm thinking about getting a band saw to cut it to the approximate width. The problem is that I am kind of in a rural area without very many stores that sell power tools. Sears has one with a fence for about $140, and Menards has one of their cheap store-brand models, but I'm wondering if these are any good? I'd also like something that I can use to cut the end of stocks for the butt plate. Any suggestions? I live in SE South Dakota.

I'd buy the biggest and best saw I could afford. My experience with smaller 10 inch table top models is that often they are not up to the task. I have a Sears bandsaw that is a two wheel, 12 inch job, and sometimes it is borderline when cutting thick or tough woods. Another problem that I have with mine is that the blades are an odd length, so I can't find them just anywhere. If you can afford one, Jett makes a real nice saw, as does Grizzly. If you need to get a less expensive saw, I'd probably look at a minimum of a 12 inch saw, 2 wheel, and preferrably one that has it's own floor stand unless space is at a real premium and you have to have the table top model. Just my 2 cents worth!
Bryan

I recently bought a Grizzly Ultimate 14 Inch Band Saw. The price was right for me and it has won several Best Deal in some of the woodworking magazines. We live about 40 miles apart if ya want to pop down and look at it. Doug

Two yrs. ago I bought a 14" enclosed cabinet Jet bandsaw after comparing prices and quality and am very satisfied. Am now looking at a set of roller blade guides because the graphite block guides that came w/ the saw aren't very good for sawing within 1/16" of the line......Fred

I have a dual purpose bandsaw that I got from Wholesale Tools. [url] http://www.wttool.com/[/url]

It works both as a metal cutting bandsaw, and it will then tip up into the vertical position and lock and you change the speed, attach the table, and it becomes a wood cutting bandsaw.

I also got their combo lathe/mill. I have had good luck with both pieces. I have had them for about 3 years and put a lot of metal through them.

I got more for my money there.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a couple of those table top band saws and found that they both have one major flaw in the fact that they only run at one speed . You'll find that if your going to cut different kinds of material you will need to run the blade at different speeds otherwise blade life is one blade per job and that is entirely unacceptable at least for me anyway. So right off the bat my next band saw purchase will have to be one with variable or multiple speeds . I know the first complaint will be price when you start looking for band saws there are a few out there that look ok and are afordable then you sorta jump up in price when you get to the multiple speeds and you look back at the best single speed that you can aford but don't . By the time you have to buy dozens of blades that ware out prematurely you could have bought the right saw in the first place . The old saying you get what you pay for could not apply better here .

i must confess that i don't use mine very often, and i only cut wood with it, so i haven't run into the problems bpjunky may have experienced. If you're handy with belts and pulleys, most of these guys run off an electric motor which drives a belt, which spins the flywheels, which makes the blade go, so it shouldn't be too difficult to rig up a different set of pulleys and change the gear ratios, thus swapping blade speed for torque.

i have a Ridgid, which is the house- brand at Home Depot. it was a floor/display model, so i got it for a decent price. had i had the money, i would have bought a Grizzly, but the ridgid can be retrofit with riser blocks which raises the top wheel about 6 or 7 inches higher and the thing can then be used to resaw rough stock if you're also into cabinetry. (why have just one hobby?) anyway, keep careful track of the blade tension and you should be OK- also, don't hesitate to get several differen widths of blade.

by all means, go with a 14" model at minimum.

good luck, and remember, the one who dies with the most tools wins!

I have an old 3 wheel craftsman band saw that I have used to cut many blanks into stocks. I have allways wished it was bigger. The blades bend and break easily, it must be clamped to the bench, and it is very hard to make a straight cut in thick wood. The bottom line is buy the biggest and best your pocket book will stand. Shop around and find a good one. Good Shopping John

I bought a 12" table top from harbor freight about this time last year. I wish, that I had save up a little more for a larger model. I have broke a couple of blades, and have had a hard time making sure, that my blade was square to the bed. I was so frustrated, that I even considered using a frame saw. :haha:

Scott

I 've been a part-time cabinet maker for 30 years. I bought a 14" powermatic back in 1974 for $500. It is very accurate.Has all ball bearing guides above the table, and one ball bearing guide behind the blade with steel side guides for the blade below the table. Getting blades is a problem on short notice, since it takes 99" blades, have to order them on the net. But is a heavy piece of machinery about 300 lbs. Very stable. Good equipment cost money, but they last. Just thought I'd throw that brand into the ring. ......George F.

I have seen variable speed attachments for use with router tabels I wonder if they would be compatable with the bandsaws also? Whiteside tools sells them I think, I have a 10" but usually have the 1/4" blade cutting thin stock and curves in soft Cedar, but would opt for a larger saw that would take a 3/4 blade if doing some serious cutting of thick hardwood.

Back