• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Starter in Possibles Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On mine I used to carry my short starter in a loop on the strap of my bag but when I was squirrel hunting once I dropped it while crawling over a big log and didn't realize it until 200 yards of walking later. So I followed my steps and found it on that log. So now I carry it in a loop on the inside of my bag since my powder measure doesn't have to go there now because I tied my antler powder measure tied onto the outside of my bag.

??? I reread my paragraph a few times and I didn't find the word "wang" in there.

You got the answers already, but I'll add that the choice of words is pretty regional.

I don't know how widespread it is, but I heard it a lot growing up in the Southwest.

"Boy, I'm gonna wang your hide!!!" seemed to dog my tracks in my misspent youth. Didn't have to hear it a second time to learn EXACTLY what a wang was. :rotf:

Thats funny up here I never heard it called a wang. I did however here this a lot, "Boy, I'm gonna tan your hide!!!" :haha:

Swampy said:
Thats funny up here I never heard it called a wang. I did however here this a lot, "Boy, I'm gonna tan your hide!!!" :haha:
You must originally be from Mississippi :thumbsup:

Via the back door to the Southwest, my original blood line comes mostly from Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee and Oklahoma. Coulda been dragged west from there, for all I know.

For hunting, I carry my short starter, bullet board, powder measure, and vent pick incorporated as a single unit and worn around my neck. All I have to add is a small day horn, and I have everything I need for a morning hunt. This one is for my .40.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Gotta ware orange :idunno: , use the vest pockets.
First thing I look for on a vest is good pockets,
shortstarter , speed loaders & priming flask or capper go in RH pocket , elk calls & .22's for
fool hens go in the left, anything else in my daypack. things like knife , saw. pepper,game bags,rope,matches,lunch, snacks ,TP ,beverages, camera , wallet ,my jacket if it gets nice out

I never thought of putting a short starter piece on a loading block... I may have to try that!

I've always heard it said "tan your hide", too. As for the wangs, we always called 'em dummy cords in the Army... although there was always some that one guy that could still manage to lose something tied to 'em :haha:

"
When hunting,how do yall carry your short starter"

I think there are a couple of them in a drawer somewhere but not sure where, I found them not to be needed anymore, along with the priming horn.I think I do have one with about a 1 1/2" stem in my shoulder bag just "incase" but have not had to use it.

When I first load the gun, I leave the starter in the hole in the loading block and drop both as a unit into my hunting pouch. If needed again they come out as one handfull. Ready to seat the next ball. I use this method for woods walks and line shoots also. Load in the woods the way you load for practice. This prevents mistakes due to "buck feever". Like dry balling etc.

Latest posts

Back