• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortening Fowler barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this nice little 20ga 1/2 stock percussion Fowler this week. It is marked W.H. Barnes- Boston. It also has some strange proof marks on the barrel near the breach? Anyone ever heard of the gunmaker?
I am trying to decide where and how to shorten the barrel. The barrel is 44” long now. A little to long for me. I could shorten it to either 40” or go all the way back to 30”, and make it almost a “canoe gun”.
I have never cut any barrels down before, any suggestions?

Attachments

• CCDA3174-D294-49DB-BCB3-991E899B4BEB.jpeg
    CCDA3174-D294-49DB-BCB3-991E899B4BEB.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 6F963EDB-E492-44B5-BA51-DA3EA31FDEEA.jpeg
    6F963EDB-E492-44B5-BA51-DA3EA31FDEEA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 76CA45B6-2ADC-4ECC-9730-81289902EB35.jpeg
    76CA45B6-2ADC-4ECC-9730-81289902EB35.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 31FFF81B-01E3-40B9-8D15-A31524F78170.jpeg
    31FFF81B-01E3-40B9-8D15-A31524F78170.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 9C2842AE-57BB-4D46-AFED-0E30038B2558.jpeg
    9C2842AE-57BB-4D46-AFED-0E30038B2558.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 62ED3D0F-8DD0-47CF-9B71-CA0B897AA139.jpeg
    62ED3D0F-8DD0-47CF-9B71-CA0B897AA139.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
looks too nice to mess up. but if you are going to cut it anyway i would make sure its shootable first. why ruin it if you cant shoot it??? which i guess is what you are thinking. pipe cutter would be neatest way to cut short of a lathe. is it twisted steel?

Here we have a original gun which has been around for over a 150 years and now to butcher it by reducing the length of barrel is destroying the guns history, I do not understand why people want to do this my advise is leave it be
Feltwad

I picked up this nice little 20ga 1/2 stock percussion Fowler this week. It is marked W.H. Barnes- Boston. It also has some strange proof marks on the barrel near the breach? Anyone ever heard of the gunmaker?
I am trying to decide where and how to shorten the barrel. The barrel is 44” long now. A little to long for me. I could shorten it to either 40” or go all the way back to 30”, and make it almost a “canoe gun”.
This appear to be English proof marks. Probably Birmingham. I’ll take a few photos of my proof book tonight so you can see if you can match them.

At first I was gonna say my advice is "dont" and hit the send button. But let me expound upon that...

That is almost certainly an original smoothbore with British proof marks.
The gun is also at LEAST 120-170 years old.

There is a ready market for guns in its condition, and its just as easy to locate a "canoe gun".

You could list it in the classifieds and I feel certain it would sell in short order. Or you could offer to trade it for a short barreled gun in the same listing.

Most members here admire, appreciate, even worship original guns of the period. We see so many that have been cut down and chopped, it is heartbreaking.

Once You've cut the barrel you can't take it back. I would explore my options before getting out the hacksaw.

BTW, typically the lock was made by a wholesale manufacturer who stamped their name/mark on the lock. It usually has little to do with who made the gun.

You will reduce the guns value if you saw the barrel down. If you want to shoot it, maybe get a shorter barrel made to fit? Long barrels bring more $$ in my opinion on the collectors market.

Wow! I just read all these post, you guys make me feel bad for even thinking about shortening it!
But if it is an original, and over 100 years old I concur with your advise. I did not think it was very valuable, and my thought were to shorten it for my grandson. He seems enamored with smoothies!
I will be going to two muzzleloader shoots before the end of the month, one in Townsend, Mass, and one in Whitehall NY.
Maybe I will take it with me and see if there is any interest.
Thanks all, I’m glad I asked for advise here, the knowledge here is invaluable!

All the bidding wars I’ve witnessed for antique and modern shotguns went through the roof for long length original barrels.
Indeed. 28 and 30" are handy in the Coverts, but the long barrels speak of the old ones who came before.

Hi, rusticbob, I'm glad you see the wisdom of leaving the barrel full length. Shortening it would be a serious mistake and a violation of this gun's integrity. It looks like a fine smoothbore just the way it is! I hope to cross trails with you at some shoots.

Hi, rusticbob, I'm glad you see the wisdom of leaving the barrel full length. Shortening it would be a serious mistake and a violation of this gun's integrity. It looks like a fine smoothbore just the way it is! I hope to cross trails with you at some shoots.
Thanks Eric, it will not be chopped. I am still looking for a shorter, lighter smoothie for my grandsons, let me know if you ever see one for sale.
I am going to a shoot in Townsend, Mass this weekend. With the price of gas going up fast, and the great weather predicted, I should be a good time.

If I do sell it, it would probably be face to face, It would be prohibitively expensive to ship! It’s almost as tall as me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Well I am pleased too think there are some members who think the same has me ,these old original guns are part of our gun heritage and must be preserved {We hold them in trust to those that come after us} it is our duty and not destroy them just for our fancy
Feltwad

Back