• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortest hunt ever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got up a bit late today. Hit it really early yesterday to head out to a buddies land with him. Was up at 4 to get there just at light. Of course I didn't see anything but he hammered a doe pretty early with his boring straight gun..... Well got up late this morning grab my rifle and headed out behind the house. It's about a 10 minutes walk through a field to the old road and down it a little to hit the woods.... I was only about 3 yards into the woods when a doe walked out about 90 yards +/- 10 above me on the hill crossing the road. We saw each other at same time which put me in a predicament since I was standing in the open.... Well I know my rifle with that big Minnie ball will print 1-1.5 3 shot groups at 75 yards and I can hit a 6 inch gong with my moderen guns Everytime at 100 off hand so.... I held on her shoulder and squeezed naturally with the recoil and huge cloud of smoke she disappeared.... When I could see there were 3 deer on the hill so assuming I must've missed I shakily reload as fast as I can and start up the hill after them. About half way up the hill I could see a big juicy doe laying there she never even twitched on the way down. So 2 for 2 with that gun and bullet both went down on the spot and never even moved an ear. One hit through the lungs and the other in the shoulder neither bullet exited. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with the set up for hunting just wish the dang gun was easier to get clean lol
IMG_20190106_081302.jpg

All in all about 12 minutes in the woods today before I got my deer

12 minutes? That may be a record of some sort CapPopper!:D. Congratulations. Please tell us about your rifle if you don't mind.

Best regards, Skychief.

My rifle is a traditions Fox River fifty that my dad owned before I took it over since he never used it. It's the rifle I learned muzzleloading on and it hates round balls lol. Well I'm going to experiment with them some more but I have had zero luck so far. However it shoots the Lee 360 improved Minnie absolutely great like I said 1-1.5 at 75 for three shots. I've been running it over 100 grains of pyrodex RS which is a little stout but it shot so good I quit searching. I do think the pyrodex is a big part of my cleaning issue though and I'm going to order some real black soon. I killed one other deer almost as fast. Walking back the logging road at dads for an evening hunt one day. I could see the house from where it went down.

I was going turkey hunting in 2010. Stepped out of my fire and charged my gun. It was about a half hour walk through the woods to my chosen spot from my house. I had just finished loading and was adjusting my bag and horn and straight my clothing when a Tom busted out of the woods at the edge of my yard. I primed and shot with out ever stepping of my front stoop.

Congrats. Im such a sucker for happy endings. 'Scuse me while I wipe the tears of joy off my keyboard. I'll PM you an address to send the "suck up meat". JK. Crongrats again.

Thanks guys :) wish suck upeat was a thing I've been slacking this year I've still got a tag..... My daughter will have b ok that's the deer I've killed this year eaten before March probably lol

Back