• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot a 3 point Deeryote !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog6

Cannon
Reaction score
Kinda like a Jackalope only on the deer side of the family. :hmm:

He's a dandy too, well, at least I thought so. Packdog said it was undoubtedly the ugliest 3 pointer he ever saw !! :grin:

And he dang sure don't have much meat on him......

Guess I should have let him grow a few more years ?? :hmm: Naaaaaaaaaaa :grin: Seems as though we are overrun with tme this year at the hunting camp....

DCP_5723.jpg

DCP_5722.gif

We're up to our elbows in 'em hereabouts. I can tell you that, even though they're small, when you're gutting a twilight shot deer by lantern after tracking it down in the dark and a pack of 'em starts howling nearby it picks up your heart rate and you're a little less fussy about getting every little scrap of windpipe and diaphram out of the carcass. Especially when you've only got a bow and one arrow with you.

I've never been scairt by coyotes. Altho I have scairt the manure outta a few of them. :grin: Them there deeryotes, on the other hand, are fearsome indeed! :shocked2:

Caught a pack of 5 coyotes tryin' a stalk on me one time. The leader was a BIG ol' cuss too! When I seen 'em sneakin' up about 15 yards behind me, I stood up and chased 'em a short distance. Then I went back to my spot. 2 of 'em circled back and watched me for a while from a hillside. They never came back any closer than 75 yards tho. Never saw any more of the other 3.

'Course I was brave 'cause I had all 3 of my arrows with me that day. :wink:

No, actually he didn't smell bad. And that was the first thing that Packdog mentioned, as he said they usually stink to high heaven. And he had a beautiful heaver winter coat, not scraggly & skinny like the ones I had seen killed on the highways. This was the first one I had ever shot & I was impressed by his teeth, really Long sharp insissors for the size of the animal.

Unless a Coyote is rabid or your hurt and layin' on the ground, you got nothing at all to fear from them. They're too smart and skittish to come after an adult human. More urbanized ones that have frequent contact with people might be less afraid, but rural coyotes especially will light out pretty quick if they know there's people in the area.

I will admit though that a singin' pack of a dozen of 'em 50 yards away will make the hair on the back of your neck rise. Anymore that sounds like money in the bank to me though, fur prices aren't half bad.

A few years back we got snowed in and I was sort of wandering around looking for rabbits when a coyote came by. I could hear my two kids off in the distance sliding down the hills on their sleds, so I shot the critter and carried it out to show them.

My son, about nine years old at the time, asked if he could keep it. I explained that the thing would get to stinkin' so bad you wouldn't be able to stand it. He thought about that for a second and grinned and asked, "so can I?" :hmm:

We were standing next to a little creek crossing at the time - to this day those kids call it "Wolf Creek." :grin:

Spot

I usually have a yote call in my pocket when I'm deer hunting.
After driving an hour in the dark to get to my deer spot only to find a pack of yotes moved in. Figure I should have some fun calling them in since they pushed the deer out.

Thats sorta similar to the Henweigh's that used to roam around these parts about 30 years ago.
good eating though.sure miss those henweigh's.

Latest posts

Back