• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot and ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From a smoooth rifle, shot or ball, your always in the game.
Using shot first I got some crows and a magpie down.
Just 5/8oz.

Switching to ball I finished with a 20yd neck shot to a squirrel.

A glorious morning and some much needed miles under my belt!

B.

Beautiful country Nate! Thanks for sharing your hunt and more proof of the versatility of these smoothbores.

5/8 ounce. I'm intrigued. Is that your 45 caliber? :hmm:

Thanks again, Skychief.

My first German Shepherd would "climb" trees after cats and squirrels. Cute but when a 100 lb dog is 6-8 feet up a tree and suddenly realizes he is a dog the cuteness wears off fast as he whines for rescue :shake: Lotta hounds go up as far as they can after Mnt Lions too.

I agree tho....Jess is AWESOME :thumbsup:

bore_butter said:
did you ever think of having that dog cloned.
it has to be the most versatile hunting dog on earth
Kind words but she is far from perfect!
It doesn't matter though.
Although she fails in some ways, every now and then she is very helpful, especially something difficult to find.
She will work rabbits in thick cover until they move for a shot.

Unfortunately she has a tendency to work to far forward sometimes and has to go on the leash. She will run in to a shot too and completely miss the reason for the shot!
She has improved immensely though.
Shame I didn't get her younger.

B.

Younger is always better for training a dog. HOWEVER...since my best friend EVER passed in July and I was urged to replace him an gt a puppy, I shall never ever get a puppy again! An older calmer POTTY TRAINED dog will be next in line!

Have any of you had a dog thats OK with gunfire shy from black powder? Looong time ago my shepherd had pups and I gifted the hateful AK sister with a pup. As she was in labor and I went shooting (whislt dog sitting) I learned some dogs dont like smoke(?). Had shot large cf rifles around it but when I touched of the CVA .50the poooch took off and was never seen again?

used to belong to a coon hunting club that had a few old coots that put gun powder in their dogs food claiming that this cures the gunshot fright, but these were the same guys that nibbled on poison ivy leaves to build up some kind of resistance.

Back