• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot from a rifled barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauser182

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can bird shot be fired out of a rifled barrel? I have a .58 cal Enfield musket and would like to use it for small game hunting. Is this possible?

Yes, but the yardage has to be short. In my experience, the rifling spins the column of shot so that it looks like a wrapping off a barber's pole. The shot swirls, leaving a large hole in the middle, that simply gets bigger, the further away the target. We stood to the side of our backstop while a club member fired such a shot, at 25 yds, and you could easily hear( and see) the STRING of shot as it hit the paper in that swirling pattern.

I tried it in my .50 cal. rifle at the Trap Range to see just how far away I could still break clays. !5 yards was about as far as I could expect to hit a flying clay target from the muzzle, about half the time.

Lead shot will quickly load up the grooves of your rifle, and make a serious cleaning chore with lead solvents, and a bore brush. For that reason alone, I don't recommend giving any rifle a regular diet of lead shot. BTDT. :( :hmm: :thumbsup:

The rifling will "spin" the shot column and give you a broard irregular pattern. I do use shot in a rifled kentucky pistol for snakes and it is effective out to ten yards.But I assume you want somethin g for ranges longer than ten yrds! :hmm:

I would really like a muzzleloading shotgun or a smoothbore musket but I think the price is out of my budget. Does anybody know of a reasonably priced smoothbore muzzleloader to shoot shot out of? I was also looking at a smaller caliber rifle for small game hunting but I'm still new to muzzleloading and wanted something with a little more room for error. Would it be cost effective to have a gunsmith bore a cheap rifle out to create a smoothbore?

Back