• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot my 36 cal today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't made any yet. :winking: I'm hopin' the riflin' will allow the .355 to work, it's the lands that are .350. :huh:

Well good luck to you but please read my thoughts below.

Just a comment about my experiance with loading my muzzleloading Shuetzen.
It is shooting a 335 grain .390 dia slug which is paper patched up to .398 diameter.
The bore in my gun is .4000 diameter. The grooves are shallow and are .0035 deep so the resulting groove diameter is .4070.

That .398 dia slug with grease on the paper is about the biggest thing I ever wish to push down that barrel. I know it would be impossible to load if I didn't wipe between shots.

Then there is the time I tried loading a lubed .58 caliber Hornady Great Plains Maxi-Bullet in my Parker-Hall .577 cal Enfield. The barrel was clean because it was the first shot of the day.
I'm not sure why it did what it did, but the lubed bullet was hard to start so I tapped it into the muzzle with my short starter and then whacked it down with the long leg of the starter.
Using a steel range rod, I then pushed it down as far as it would go, which was about 20 inches. There it stopped about 14 inches above the powder.
As you know, you can't shoot out a bullet that is not on the powder without ruining the barrel (and possibly your whole day if the barrel blows up).
I had to use a hammer to get it down to the powder so I could shoot it out.
I'm telling you this not because I want to know what I did wrong. I can't try those bullets again because after that incident, I cast them into round balls.
The reason I'm telling the story is because the very thought of trying to drive a bullet which is larger than the bore down to the powder brings back BAD memories, and I don't want to see you get yourself in that position.

Oh, unless your casting your 9mm wadcutters out of pure lead, I don't think you stand the chanch of a Fa*t in a Cyclone of getting the bullet down the bore.
Another thing to think about is when you fire one of those slugs in your pistol, there is over 1000 pounds of force driving it into the bore and rifleing grooves. That's why a hardend lead (or jacketed bullet) takes on the shape of the rifleing.
IMO, unless you weigh at least 600 pounds, you've got your work cut out for you. :shocking:

Well thank you for the information, I will keep it in mind. I'm shooting a H&A Buggy rifle, not a pistol. It is a Numerich item. It's a couple of inches low at 50 yards with 20 grains of 777 and a .330 round ball with a .015 ticking patch. I was hoping to use the 9mm bullets for varmints, and the prb for small game. :hmm:

Back