• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my new Flinter today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well as some of you may have read my earlier post in the "photos" section entitled, " My New Flinter". I finally got all the bugs worked outa of it and shot her today. When I say " bugs" I am speaking of cosmetic issues, that were taken care of swiftly. Anyhow I didn't want to shoot it, clean it..then send it off to be worked on and the whole time have to worry about the inside of the barrel getting rusty, without me babysitting it.
So anyhow...I got it home today. I set up a target 35yards away. My first load was 60 grains of goex, .016 patch, a 530 rb and Goex ffff for priming powder.. I shot it 2 or 3 times off the sandbag and noticed it didn't group very well.. so I bumped up the patch size to.018 and heres the results... I think I have a good group now. I shot app. 25 times. Tomorrow I will adjust the sights a little bit to hit the Bull.
What ya all think?
Heres the rifle...

Very Nice rifle.. :thumbsup:
Take it out to your sight-in(hunting-target) range and work from there.
Bothered by the metal hooks on rack :shocked2:

Ah its shooting low to the right, you know you cant fix that, but I will take it off your hands so you don't have to fiddle with it....Looks like a gun and a group to be proud of.

that's a really nice looking rifle, and a pretty good group. I would spend more quality time with it ... you may find that the group sill shrink tighter as the barrel is 'broken in' ( by that I mean the rough spots wear away) and then you will have a most excellent system.

good luck, and make good smoke!

That sure is a purdy gun yea got there...and shoots well too...can't ask for more'n dat! Yeah, they need to put some felt on them there hooks...sure wouldn't want to damage it now that yea got it look'n so purrrdy! :v

Super!!! Just wait til you kill your first deer with her!!! Buck or doe, it won't matter...That's what I love about hunting with a flinter...I go hunting, for meat, whichever happens by makes me happy, happy, happy!! :grin:

Enjoy!!! And Good Luck!!! :thumbsup:

Good group and a very nice rifle! Tastes like venison to me!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Interesting rifle for sure. Don't see the number of inlays like that any more. Most were of dutch origin and many were "hex" signs to either bring in luck or drive out the "boogidy-boogidys"! :wink:
Somewhere in my pile of old books I've got a source that discusses these...but which pile and how deep? :idunno:

Thanks Guys!.. The maker of the rifle was Mike Lange.. the pics of the rifle were the ones he sent me when it was completed..Now that I have it in my grubby little paws it will NEVER see metal hanging hooks.I also agree with the "breaking the barrel in" statement, that's the fun part!
On another note..I need to work on my offhand shooting. I shoot a custom Hawken rifle in a percussion and feel right at home with it...but the flinter on the other hand is a different story..I need to get past the "flinches", I'm sure I will, it will just take time. I plan on taking her out with me for the early M'ler Doe this year so wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back