• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot placement for Patched Round Ball on deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically any shot placement you would take with a CF rifle, you can take with your 54cal rifle using a roundball. As to concern about the energy I can tell you this: My buddies boy shot a huge Ohio doe a couple of years ago, at about 70yds, using 90gr Black Powder and roundball, in a TC Renegade 54cal. I watched the shot hit the doe square in the chest and turned the doe around 180 degrees. You could stick your thumb in the hole through her lungs. You have to remember most CF rifle bullets will expand to about the diameter that 54cal roundball had going into the deer to begin with. If you are hunting thick cover just remember ANY projectile WILL BE deflected if it comes in contact with twigs. Make sure you shooting lanes are clear, take a set of pruners with you. DANNY

Back