• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot placement on deer with .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc mullins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents,
What is your point of impact for dead right their deer? I will be using a .50 cal rifle and a .62 cal smooth bore. I have recently renewed my intrest in traditional black powder hunting and have never taken a deer in the past with this equipment. I have taken lots of deer with cf rifles and know they have a advantage with veloicity and shock , the reason I ask is it the same a high shoulder or neck? Really perfer not to trail very far as everone else does also I'm sure.
What say you?

thanks
Doc

I wouldn't recommend neck shots unless your shooting skills are pretty advanced.

In my opinion, broadside, mid body, tucked behind the shoulder shots kill them 100% of the time. I get around 50yards travel after the shot with my .44, no travel after the shot with my .54 or .72 if I put the shot where it needs to be.

I don't like to shoot them through the shoulders because of the meat loss.

I agree with Eric. A ball through both lungs.

Bigger target.
Kills deer quickly.
No meat loss.

Greg

There is no "DRT" guarantee hit.

BUT...I like the double lung shot, I try to place the ball right behind where the elbow joint makes a point against the side of the chest. I don't like heart shots as I like to eat the heart.

THE SECOND shot is a shoulder shot, about 45 degrees from looking at the deer head-on, and about where you think the shoulder joint would be... maybe an inch or two more toward the center. (I hope I'm describing this right) The ball goes in smashing the joint and hitting the spine.

LD

I'm with the guys above on shot placement. Double lungs. Mine are always down quickly, and usually in 30 - 50 yards...as far as they can run when they are already dead but just don't know it. :grin:

If DRT is what you're looking for, search for Roundball's posts on this topic. He's had great success with the shot you're looking for and has posted results to show it.

Break the spine, whether low neck or high shoulder, just like a centerfire...The problem is you don't get quite the damage as with a centerfire so you have to be more precise...

Like most, I go for a double lung if the angle is right as they will be down within 40-60 yards but I have had occasions when I could drive the ball through the neck, into the heart lung area and they dropped...

I shoot just behind the shoulder with everything. Bow, muzzleloader, or centerfire rifle, doesn't matter. If you put a hole through both lungs, you've got a dead deer within seconds. Typically they expire within a few yards of where they were at the shot. Many of them drop in their tracks.

The only guaranteed DRT shot is one that disrupts the central nervous system, but hitting the brain or spine is iffy unless you're really close. I avoid those shots most of the time.

elk or deer, double lung end of story, don't get fancy. critters don't go far with a .490 or a .530 hole through both lungs.
:hatsoff:

Back