• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot size for turkey. No 5 or 6?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have most of 10lb bags B.P. "copper plated" #5s & #6s, and "nickel plated" #7s left over sitting around, probably 9lbs each.
Won't waste my time using them for hunting so I'll probably burn up the #7s on some clay targets if I get the chance, or they'll all just be there under the workbench for the estate sale after I'm gone, LOL.

roundball said:
I have most of 10lb bags B.P. "copper plated" #5s & #6s, and "nickel plated" #7s left over sitting around, probably 9lbs each.
Won't waste my time using them for hunting so I'll probably burn up the #7s on some clay targets if I get the chance, or they'll all just be there under the workbench for the estate sale after I'm gone, LOL.

Keep us posted Roundball! :rotf: :blah: :stir:

Killed my fall bird with #6 lead, in my mind it went down like a ton of bricks but with all the smoke I lost sight of it :grin:

I've never understood what the advantage of mixing shot sizes in a load is supposed to be. Can some of you who do that explain what your thinking is?

Spence

Back several years ago I used "duplex" loads in my suppository guns waterfowling.Seemed to work pretty good.When I started smoothbore development I tried it too.It gave really dense patterns in my SB. The ranges I use for turkey the load has been devastating on the ole Toms.Truth be told 6 5 or maybe even 7.5's probably would suffice.But 3 birds with 3 shots is the story with these conjured up duplex loads.I've shot both 4-5-6,and 4-5-7.5 loads. It doesn't seem to matter much.Tuna can penetration is good even with 7.5 shot.Presently I'm using 4-5-6 and took a nice bird with that load this spring.With these loads I get 18-20 pellets in the head and neck turkey targets @ 30yds.This is about what my SP10 remy gets @ 50yds :grin:.Sorry for such a long answer but it works for me.For anything other than turkey I use single loads usually 5/6 for squirrel and rabbits,8/7.5 for small birds.

After having shot over 80 turkeys with all sizes of guns and loads, I have found that #6 shot will kill them out to as far as anyone has any business shooting at them. Now with a muzzle loading fowler, # 7 1/2's might come into play to give more pellets in the pattern. My buddy is just finishing up a rock lock Jim Chambers fowler and some range time soon will tell us what it like best. I have taken several birds with 7 1/2's and even one with #8's so I know they will work.

I'm not surprised the mixed loads kill birds, don't know of any reason they wouldn't. And there's no reason not to use them if a fellow is so inclined. But, my experience is all with #6 plain chilled shot, and I've killed over a dozen birds, all one shot kills, from 3 different guns and out to 40 yards. I feel no need for anything more. So, how does anyone using mixed loads know they are doing better than they would with a single size?

Spence

:hmm:

Howdy Spence!

The last two birds that I have killed were taken with mixed loads (7 1/2, 6, and 4).

My previous gobblers were taken with straight 6.

I wont say the mixed load killed any better, but it sure did just as well as the straight load.

I came upon the load while patterning (goofing off? :haha: ) with my gun. I was trying to figure if I wanted to try straight 4's or possibly straight 7 1/2's and driving myself goofy with indecision!

The mixed load looked as up to the task at hand as what I had previously used, so I tried it the last couple of years.

I looked upon the load as throwing the "kitchen sink" at them! Is the newer load any more efficient? Probably not.

I like to tinker with things and fix them when they aren't broken. :wink:

One of these Springs, I may work up the nerve to try straight 7 1/2's. Talk about filling up a paper target at twenty yards. :shocked2:

Have you played with any squirrel loads out of your Colerain???

Best regards, Skychief.

Skychief said:
I like to tinker with things and fix them when they aren't broken. :wink:
There can be no better reason, love doing that, myself.

When I think of shot loads I see it as a balance between pattern density and penetration/killing power. If the game is easily killed I opt for smaller shot in order to fill up the holes. If they are tough, I choose larger shot because they will hold their velocity better and deliver more of a punch. Since I've proved to myself repeatedly that #6 shot with a little oomph behind it will kill turkeys as far as I'm willing to try them, I settled on that and have seen no reason to reconsider. I like things dead simple. Loading duplex/triples loads seems like a complication with no return worth the effort, to me. Others don't agree, obviously, and I was just wondering if they had a reason for using them, or were just "tinkering with things".

One of these Springs, I may work up the nerve to try straight 7 1/2's. Talk about filling up a paper target at twenty yards.
They will work just fine, but give them a fair chance by starting with some velocity.

Have you played with any squirrel loads out of your Colerain???
Not yet. The pack mule is packed, and I'm just waiting for the planets to line up right.

Spence

well Spence my reasons just about match Sky Chief reasons. I love to tinker with gun stuff and this SB stuff has forced me to tinker even more :hmm: .Two more days of turkey season left :( ....But spring tree griz opens in the AM too for a few weeks.

Back