• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun Restoration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finished job this is what can be done but most would have scraped it
Feltwad
Before

After

Last edited:
Kansas Jake
Yes this gun is a shooter and passed proof which I have now moved on
Feltwad

I'm looking at a 16 ga. double made circa 1875 that has Birmingham Proof marks. Did you do anything other than check the barrels with a borescope before shooting it?
I disassembled the entire gun and cleaned all the old residue from the lock mortises and the locks. Also insepected the barrels for any cracks or bulging and the ribs. After cleaning everything and carding the rust off the barrels with a piece of copper, I used some naval jelly with cottonballs attached to coat hangars and got the bores cleaned out.Then I used a bore brush. Got the borescope out again and rechecked the bores. Came out very clean with just some very slight pitting down by the breech, could barely see it.
I disassembled the entire gun and cleaned all the old residue from the lock mortises and the locks. Also insepected the barrels for any cracks or bulging and the ribs. After cleaning everything and carding the rust off the barrels with a piece of copper, I used some naval jelly with cottonballs attached to coat hangars and got the bores cleaned out.Then I used a bore brush. Got the borescope out again and rechecked the bores. Came out very clean with just some very slight pitting down by the breech, could barely see it.
I also etched the barrels some to bring out the twist pattern.

DSC02024.JPG DSC02025.JPG

Latest posts

Back