• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

should i blue a barrel or plum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i picked up a ultra-hi .45 cal rifle. was a kit gun from what little info i have found there is not much out there. any way i tripped the rifle all the way down the stock finish looked bad. the barrel looked like it was mounted in the stock and they used some plum coloring on the barrel only the top half of the barrel was done that way the bottom was not even touched. amazing there was no rust on the out side the bore is in great shape. so now. i want to re finish the barrel now. i will be doing it my self i guess . so can i do a good job my self with like the birchwood casey stuff. and it looks like a Ky rifle not sure on blue or the plum color i was told that the plum is not all that great as a rust preventing even back in it's day. i'm not looking for a period correct arm it will just be a plinker. know of a site that has a step by step info ? thanks for any help. to bad my uncle will no longer do bluing he did the hot vat bluing.

Laurel Mountain Forge makes a product that you can brown or blue with. I believe there's a "how to" article here on the forum. GW

I'll second the LMF solution. I find it easier to work with and it gives better results. It's also the most durable rust brown I've found. Personally, I didn't care for the look I got when I tried rust bluing with it, but there are other solutions such as Mark Lee Express Blue or Pilkingtons that gives a gorgeous and durable rust blue.

I need to try rust blueing again, having had no success on my first attempt some time ago. I am told that rust blueing, while technically simple, is VERY technique sensitive. The water MUST be pure, and you have to do everything just so in order to get rid of the muddy brown color underneath your blue-black.

Browning is easy. :wink:

i seen the birchwood casey how to do the brown . i think i might go plum crazy. sorry could not resist. :wink: i will look up the the product you talked about thanks.

My first attempt at it didn't work. Second worked well. I had to use distilled water. I dumped the boiling water into the container holding the parts, and let cool to touch. That worked.

Back