• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I get a 20, 24 or 28 ga. smoothbore for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 20 is more than you'll ever "need" for even the largest whitetails, but considering the flexibility of the 20 for various shot volumes from the smallest, small game to the largest of small game, like the wild turkey, that would be my choice. The 24 would be tempting as well, though, based on the list you gave.

I currently have two .62 caliber guns (had another I sold). One is a Virginia Smooth rifle that I have so far exclusively used for small game from squirrels to turkey and I love it. While I have worked up a load for round ball and would feel comfortable using it out to 75 yards, it's a lot more ball than needed when I have a couple .54's sitting around.

The other is a .62 rifled Jaeger and the deer I shot with that was no "deader" than those shot with my .54's. 200+ pound dressed bucks are not uncommon in my area either.

On this forum this season I can recall two VERY large whitetails dropped dead in their tracks with .45's. So whitetail hunting should not be as much your deciding factor, in my opinion, as the variety of small game you may want to pursue and the shot loads and patterns you want to attain.

Of your choices I'd go with a 20 bore.

My choice was a 16, as when I'm throwing shot from a cylinder bore I wanted a bit more in the air. And it was 3/4lb lighter than the same rig with either a 12 or 20 bore barrel. (Colerain Griffin).

I wanted a 42" barrel but under 7 lbs stocked and finished.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/653/2/COLE-GRIF

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the oddball here but I have a smooth bore .54, so almost a 28ga (.55"), and am very happy with it. I use mine for rabbit, squirrel, turkey, deer, hogs, and anything else basically except for waterfowl. My only other ML smooth bore is a 13ga SxS, and it is definitely more versatile with shot loads, where as I prefer the .54 for PRB loads, so I would say it depends on your main use. I go after deer during deer season and hogs the rest of the year, with small game and turkey being more after-thoughts compared to these main two, so the main use is what you have to base your decision on. And then, choose whatever you prefer if you lean toward any of them at all. They're all good.

Spikebuck - I think you are hunting similar game as me. I hunt a lot of snowshoe hares in the winter. I think 20 ga is the minimum size to hunt turkey in Ontario - I haven't hunted turkey in awhile, but as my son is almost old enough to hunt I may take him out. Another poster mentioned that getting wads, etc. is much easier w a 20 ga as well. Most others that have provided advice have also suggested going with a 20 gauge...

Back