• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I or should I not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was also in the same boat. It's a long story but I recieved a LeMatt revolver as a gift from a family friend that was unfired. I haven't shot it yet but I do plan on it. Yes it would be worth more u fired, but I'm never gonna sell it so I know I'll get more enjoyment out of it by firing it than just looking at it every now and again insode my safe. Just my 2 cents.
Wow, and I thought temptation was laid before me! A LeMat would have a sirens song that I could not resist.

Here are some pics.
Forgot to mention it has a fluted cylinder, the oriental way.

Attachments

• 20240921_122155.jpg
    20240921_122155.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240921_122208.jpg
    20240921_122208.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240921_122229.jpg
    20240921_122229.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240921_122244.jpg
    20240921_122244.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I acquired a Colt 1860 Army today. Now when I say Colt, I mean a reproduction gun made by Uberti for Colt that is a faithful reproduction. No proof marks or advisories stamped all over it. Never fired, matching serials, still in original wrapping and original oil that has become goo. As an aside, I didn't know the originals had steel back straps until today.
Anyway, I am torn between making it a safe queen or actually shooting it. Seriously I don't know what to do. If I shoot it I figure it will loose a hundred or so dollars in value.
Seriously, what would you do and why?
It's a reproduction which means tens of thousands of them are in existence surpassing the original Colt numbers by a lot,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SHOOT it for Pete's sake !

Wow, and I thought temptation was laid before me! A LeMat would have a sirens song that I could not resist.
Yea. The friend I got it from was really into the civil war and had a few different replica firearms and the LeMatt was the one I got. Like I said before, I am for sure going to shoot it because I never plan to sell it so value diminish is not a factor for me.

Did you buy it just to look at?

Life is short, shoot the darn thang. In addition to having fun you’ll have one less 21st Century issue to deal with.

The backstrap is real steel, blued.

Here are some pics.
Forgot to mention it has a fluted cylinder, the oriental way.
That box and the gun are in far above average condition IMO. I’d give some consideration to selling it unfired and buying a new Uberti to shoot. Collectors do like the fluted 1860’s and given the excellent condition, would pay a premium.

BTW, that gun is not a “reproduction made by Uberti”. Some of the castings, cylinder, back straps, and barrels came as rough forgings from Uberti but they were bored, rifled and finished in the Iver Johnson factory under Colt’s supervision to Colt’s specifications. As such it is a Colt’s revolver and can be papered with a factory letter.

Back