• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoulder placement of smoothbore during shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhking

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post...I have been watching this forum for a long time and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share. I someone told me that muzzleloader are meant to be shot on the shoulder or just outside of it (as oppose to in the pocket on the inside of the shoulder as is proper with today's shotgunning). Is there any truth to this? How do you shoot your smoothbores?
Thanks,
R

I've always held to traditional hold. True, you recieve more of a push than shove and on-shoulder may be easier. Just boils down to what feels right and gives consistancy

My shoulder stays in the same place: between my neck and my arm. :haha:

I fire a muzzleloader no different from a breechloading rifle or shotgun. On the forward-facing "hump" of the muscle over & inside the rotator joint. Or, the outside edge of "the pocket" but still in it.

In the pocket. Unless you want to spend the next couple of years re-training yourself to shoot. :blah:

someone told me that muzzleloader are meant to be shot on the shoulder or just outside of it (as oppose to in the pocket on the inside of the shoulder as is proper with today's shotgunning).

Sounds like they confused shotguns/fowlers/muskets having big flat buttplates with the styles of rifles that have the deep crescent buttplates. The crescent buttplates DO belong out on the arm or the edge of the shoulder, else they'll bite you, but anything with a flat buttplate can go in the "pocket", like normal.

Joel,
with one firelock of each type.

It's not wheather it's a muzzleloader or not, it's the shape of the buttplate that determines where you put it.

I keep whatever I am shooting in the pocket of my shoulder. The heaver recoiling the gun the lower I bring my elbow. On big heavy's my elbow will be pointing at the ground, which fills that pocket with muscle so I don't take the impact directly on the bone.
Crescent buttplates are not uncomfortable when shouldered correctly, even on something that recoils.
:m2c:
Hairsmith

I keep whatever I am shooting in the pocket of my shoulder. The heaver recoiling the gun the lower I bring my elbow. On big heavy's my elbow will be pointing at the ground, which fills that pocket with muscle so I don't take the impact directly on the bone.

Doesn't pointing your elbow down hinder the movement of the smoothbore while trying to lead a bird?

Thanks for all the input guys...that makes since about the curve butt plate

First of all I am not claiming to be much of a shotgunner... but I don't move the gun from the shoulder or my arms, I pivot at the hips.
Second I don't lower my elbow much when shooting shotguns. I have never found them to recoil enough to make it necessary.
Heavy Recoiling to me is much more that a 12Ga with 1 1/2 oz.
Guess I have played with to many large rifles for to long.
Tends to rattle the wits I guess... :youcrazy: :crackup: :crackup:

Hairsmith

I'm happy to hear that some one else does this. I was taught to do this as a boy (skinny) when firing Trapdoor Springfield rifles. It is sort of a built in recoil pad. I've fired rifles with crescent butt profiles from the upper arm because I was told it was traditional and also eased recoil. Some claim it reduced exposure to enemy fire when firing from behind a tree, but I've got doubts about that. I've always found that a crescent butt piece was quite comfortable when held at the shoulder and aided in preventing the rifle from slipping around. I also find that a crescent butt profile tends to provide more contact area than a flat or shotgun style does, spreading the recoil force over a larger area.

good advice,, ive learned that with the long bore time of black powder its very important for a very firm pull into the shoulder.. repeating the same pressure on the sholder and hold placement , cheek presure, etc, time after time to get best accuracy. this takes time and lots of practice.. .. dave

Hello all this is my first post...I have been watching this forum for a long time and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share. I someone told me that muzzleloader are meant to be shot on the shoulder or just outside of it (as oppose to in the pocket on the inside of the shoulder as is proper with today's shotgunning). Is there any truth to this? How do you shoot your smoothbores?
Thanks,
R

Study how ShotGunner Shoot. A Trap & Skeet Range is a GREAT PLACE.... :m2c:

Latest posts

Back