• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show N Tell your first MLer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always wanted a flinter and at that time loved the Roman nose style. Ha, until I shot it 😂 . Anyway in 1971 I got rained out on the heavy highway construction job I was working on. I asked my wife of one year if she would go to Dixie Gun works with me. She said yes, and we drove from Omaha to Union City Tenn to purchased my first muzzleloading rifle. This is a Italian made 45 cal and sparks very well. Still have it today.
Larry
PS. If I remember correctly it was right at $265.00 pick it up price. It did not come with set triggers nor a fly in the lock. I added the set triggers and fly after I found out why I needed a fly.😂

IMG_1156.JPG

My first was a TC Hawken. All though I had a good paying job it was my policy to not spent wages on toys. So a part time side job was taken till I could mail order it. It won many matches and served for my deer hunting rifle as well. Sold it off and had a few different muzzle loaders before starting to build them.

I inherited a couple of ml rifles. One is a t/c hawken cap lock in .45, the other a .45 cap lock CVA.

I guess my first ml rifle I purchased with my money is a T/C Hawken flintlock in .50 caliber.
Still have all three plus a few more.

My first ml of any kind was a Ruger Old Army. I was a manager trainee at a Haag drug store in Indianapolis. This was in 1975. Down the street was a small gun shop on Pendleton Pike. I bought the ROA for about $125 iirc. Every other weekend when my wife and I would go back to our home town my Dad and I would go out to the gun range and shoot our old Army's (he liked mine so much he bought one himself).
I have fond memories of Dad and I making smoke. He's been gone many years now, and I have his ROA plus my own. I always think of Dad when I shoot either one of them.

My first was an Investarm Bridger Hawken percussion in 45. I’ve shot it a lot. I began to not like the looks of it so I ordered some parts and reworked it a few months ago. Now I really like the looks of it.

Attachments

• IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    5.9 MB
  • IMG_6690.jpeg
    IMG_6690.jpeg
    5.9 MB
Well this is a tough one to answer. My first ML I shot was my dad's 54 cal TC Hawken when I was 5. Around 8-9 for Xmas I got a 32/45 CVA squirrel kit, so technically it was my first ML. However, I also own the original 54 TC as well and it's what I shot my first deer with too. So, who knows what first one is classified as. I can tell ya my last 2 as well 62/20 Kibler Fowler and a 40 cal Early VA.

Back