• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show N Tell your first MLer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was/is a custom built left hand .62 cal percussion by Mike Adkins out of Arkansas, modeled after a Hawken that resides in the Firearms Museum in Cody, WY. That was in 1992 after I met make at one of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation camps. It is a great shooter that has accounted for two elk and one Muley plus lots of cans, boxes, targets and dirt clods, all for fun. I still have that wonderful rifle but it "forced" my transition to flinters for which I am eternally grateful.

Technically my first was a old asm Walker. My grandpa had me carry it around the farm for rats and the occasional rabbit or squirrel loaded with bird shot. After the first year of carrying it in my belt he cut up a old saddle to make a holster for me. A few years later one of my uncles found out i was getting all of grandpa's guns and he stole them. Long story short, i got it back.

Every time I grab this gun i hear my grandpa say guter hund😆 That's good dog for those of you that don't know German.
20241022_141606.jpg

First one. T/C Hawken .50 caliber, 1973 while I was still in High School. Paid for it by washing dishes nights and weekends at a local restaurant. Certainly influenced by the Movie Jeremiah Johnson released in 1972. 5 Digit S/N.

IMG_9799.jpeg

IMG_9801.jpeg

My first muzzleloader was an authentic .58 cal 1861 type 2 US Springfield rifle/musket. I still have her and I shoot her several times a year.

I love the smiles on people’s faces when I let them take a few shots too

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

Mine was a Zoli Zouave .58 rifle from Navy Arms about 1967. I could never get it to shoot well and sold it to a club member who was a NSSA shooter and re-enactor. He had it accurized, changed the mini ball to a more modern design, and proceeded to win competitions with it. I watched the 1998 movie "Gettysbug" the other night and had the joy of seeing my friend on the wall of the angle shouting "Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg" after Pickett's Charge. He is not with us any longer though.

A friend that I worked with was a ML shooter and got me interested. My first ML was a Lyman GP .50 cal. perc. kit that I bought at a gun show at the National Guard Armory in Boulder, CO back in the 1970's. IIRC I paid $165.00 for it, and I could tell that it had beautiful wood.
It is more accurate than I am! I added a different rear sight and some accent lines to the stock contours. I still have it and plan to shoot it more often now.
DSE_5922.JPG

DSE_5918.JPG

DSE_5923.JPG

My first was a pair of CVA's Kentucky rifle and pistol. Bought in the early 70's when Grants stores were closing. Last ones in the gun dept. Paid a full $35 us for the PAIR.

The hunting ammo was also on sale at $3 a box. Bought 10 30/30 and the full case of Federal 45/70 govt. Best buys I ever made.

Latest posts

Back