• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

side plates

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srottman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently viewed a pictured of a poor boy with out a side plate. I have assumed that side plates were a functional part of helping preventing the stock from cracking due to the bolt going over to the lock plate. have I been under the wrong assumption.

not really, most have a side plate to add strength to the lock area. but poor boys were basic guns without any "extras". many without butt plates ether.
just my 2 bits worth.

I agree with santabob.
The sideplates do add strength to the stock plus they keep the lock screw(s) from working down into the wood.

Poor boys are just that. Poor, inexpensive, low cost, no frills ...

Some of them that have butt plates used nails rather than screws to attach them.
What the hay...Nails work good for puttin' things on wood don't they?. :grin:

zonie,
thanks for the reply, never have built a rifle before and just checking things out, it makes sense to me for a side plate so that you dont sink the screw into the wood or cause the stock from cracking from recoil when shooting. I am not sure how much you shold tighten the screw down going from the side plate to the lock. I assume just enough to hold it in place

My poor boy has NO side plate. I have seen washers inletted into the stocks, to help protect the wood from the lock bolt screw heads being screwed down to tight. ( Many T/Cs have this done). However, there is NO reason to crank those screws down so tightly that you are collapsing wood under the head, OR making the lockplate cock in towards the screw.

You want to seat the lockplate in its mortise so that the plate is at right angles to the barrel's side flats. If the lockplate is tipped in any direction, this will cause a gap to appear between the plate and the barrel. It also tends to bind up the internal lock parts, so they don't function properly.

Use a scratch awl to make a witness mark in the bottom of the lock plate bolts' screwslots, and a corresponding mark in the wood( Just a dot is all that is needed) alongside the screwslot where the bolthead comes to rest when tightened. That witness mark will allow you to return the bolt to the correct position over the life of the gun, every time you remove the bolts, and put them back, after cleaning and oiling your lock.

remember many rifles had a "washer" type under the lock bolt. Plains rifles, Deringer and southern mt rifles had them.

Back