• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sidearm when hunting bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patocazador said:
...I carried a S&W model 29 with a 4" barrel and 240 gr. hard-cast Keith handloads.
Similar -- Buffalo Bore Low-Recoil .44 Mag hard Keith SWC (5-shot 3" barrel w/compensator end). And some don't like Mag plated 000 Buck -- it's a type of bear spray as far as I'm concerned and they're not the only predators out there BTW. You bet your life.

Heresy? Yes, but ol grizz does not discriminate between the taste of heretics and the morally uncorrupted.

Oh, boy. I believe I have located a bigger sidearm. If it proves to be usable and useful, my Clements-ROA .50-caliber will go on the block.
And for those who are immune to recoil, about 15 years ago, there was a man who always had a table at the Evergreen/Monroe, Washington, Rendezvous. His last name was Johnston or Johnson. On his property he had an "antique" arms museum. Every weapon from de la Chaumette screw breech rifles to Napoleon howitzers was made by him. Among things he brought to his rendezvous table were a wood arms crate filled with Hall 1824 breechloading flintock rifles, packed in cosmoline, and a solid frame six-shot double action .69-caliber percussion revolver. Since he was in his 70s when I knew him, this super mastodon stopper revolver might be available from his estate or wherever it is today. It was beautifully made - but weighed more than six pounds as I remember.

THIS would be a large, strong man's bear protection of choice.

.69 caliber eh? That'd do some stopping, yes, if it, and you, can handle the FFFg...

Yes, I like bear spray too and it is usually the most accessible. Fred Meyers is our best friend...

bpd303 said:
If I were to go bear hunting and only black powder was allowed, I would carry my 1847 Walker.
This would be a good choice imho.

If I had to worry about bears bigger than the little dudes we have around here I think I'd want something from the magnumitis school of gun shooting and in the hands of a buddy who is a really good shot. But here in Addy the bears are black bears and they are not too keen on being around people.

I recently met a man in Alaska (up above the Arctic Circle) who dropped a 350 pound Grizzly sow in her tracks with a single 12 gauge 00
buck-shot that penetrated the skull into the brain.
Your primary rifle will handle anything on the continent. If you are limited to black powder in your backup sidearm, just use the biggest gun you can shoot competently. The same goes for (cartridge) guns. You don't have to have a super-magnum-Blaster. If you have to use it (unlikely), you'll be taking a very close up brain shot. Shooting for the brain, while ignoring the raging beast wrapped around it, will be your biggest and only problem.
If you don't get the job done on your first shot, you just might be able to wedge the gun in his jaws.. :haha:

Excellent this is Darwin's work at it's best, one would only use a hand gun thingy if the back up plan was to take the bear to the here after with you , on the other hand a smarter chap armed with a double rifle in .72 cal. would have as his back up another chap with him carrying another double rifle in .72 cal. . There you go simple as s.....g in bed and kicking it out with your foot :)

Well, as Grumpa points out, the question was specific about a sidearm. My main DEFENSE against a Grizzly attack would be to go hunting with Wes/Tex...

...and to walk away really fast. I wouldn't have to beat the BEAR in a race, just Wes!

What be wrong with a howdah pistol? Seeing as y'all ignored the slung short blunderbuss!

Why would someone want the challenge of hunting a large bear and then tote a nitro gun! May as well just use a nitro gun in the first place, no?

Okay, If I were going to hunt bear (so far, I haven't had the opportunity and don't expect that to change) with a muzzleloading rifle, or any single shot rifle, for that matter, I'd want a sidearm with enough stopping power to disuade an injured bear from having me for his last meal. Since the use of whatever sidearm I chose would be a matter of life or death, I'd want all of the firepower I could find. That being said, I have two sidearms in my gunsafe that would meet those needs. One is a revolver chambered for the .454 Casull round and the other is chambered for the S&W .50 mag. round. You can bet your bippy that one of those would be my choice as my sidearm on a muzzleloading bear hunt. Sorry, purists, but it is my arse and my choice.

The "muzzle loader only" is that for hunting? I thought even outside of hunting season you could carry a sidearm for protection?
I think I would shoot one barrel and while the other was still loaded- reload the just shot barrel. More powerful than a handgun.

The problem overlooked is what do you do with your long gun when you're field dressing your kill? . . . How long will it take to drop your knife, retrieve your long gun, and defend yourself from a bear who has invited himself to your lunch buffet?

Unfortunately, a sidearm will not be significantly quicker. But at least you can be running away while you grab it.

Naphtali said:
The problem overlooked is what do you do with your long gun when you're field dressing your kill? . . .

You're a wise man. I can't tell you how many times, whether fishing with a shotgun or dressing game, I've laid down my long arm and kinda moved away from it. Bears seem to have ESP for the situation, and the further you get from the stashed longarm, the more likely a bear is to visit.

Imagine my discomfort on a fishing trip a few years back to hear a noise behind me while wade fishing a river for salmon. It turned out to be my shotgun clanking through the brush.... As a bear with a mouthful of sling dragged it off! :doh:

Latest posts

Back