• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight angle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,
with a new project I could need some help for planning the sights. I am beginning work on my first small caliber (.36) and long (42 inches) barrel and if possible, I would use sights that I have available.

What sight size do you use for this kind of barrel? Of course, this depends on the shooting distance, load etc. but any hint would be helpful for planning. Particularly the absolute difference between front and rear sight hight would be helpful, as it is a swamped barrel I could calculate the actual hight over the barrel from this.

Robert

Low sights look beautiful on swamped barrels... the only problem is mariage. (sp) It's horrible in the summer and if you shoot it 5-6 times in a row you will start to see it. If you can stand it, try and use higher sights. Also, as far as placement, get yourself a magnet and put the rear sight on, then you can move it around till you find the place that better for you... It's funny the older you get the farther down the barrel the rear sight goes.

Chuck

How swamped? There are many different profiles. You'll need a real gunsmith to check me, but I think it goes something like this.

Measure from the center of the bore (assuming the bore is drilled square and true). So, if the front sight will be at a spot where the barrel is 7/8" across the flats and a 0.375" front sight is used (7/8")/2 + 0.375 = 7/16+6/16=13/16" above bore. If the rear sight is to be installed where the barrel is 1" across the flats: 13/16-8/16 = 5/16" high rear sight. (Don't forget to include the depth of the dovetails for both front & rear).

Thanks for the feedback! This is a colerain barel, so I have the exact profile. Calculating the diameter difference between the sights is no problem - with the positions I have in mind 0,096".

Only problem is lack of any experiance. I would not transfer the sight hights of a short cal. 58 rifle with 22" barrels to a long small bore barrel just by multiplying by the factor of the sight distance.

I think I will go ahead with low sights first as they do look good. Style allways wins.

Robert

Back