• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sight location

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for locating the sights on the barrel? Am installing open sights with the rear being a small buckhorn and the front a blade.

Not really a rule but since I'm 57 and have shot open sight guns since I could hold one I would say if you are younger then 30 set her up with the rear sight behind the balance point when you carry her with one hand...After 30-35 put it in front of that balance point... :)

Rear sights about 12-14 inches from the breech
plug and the front 1-2 inches from the muzzle
depending on the size of your front sight.
Hope that helps

Front sight 1-2 inchs back from muzzle rear sight set it on there and stand off hand and have some one adjust it to where its clear for your eyes usually 10-16 inches. Go off what works for you not off a based measurement you will be better off and see clearer.

Front sight aprox. 1 to 1.75" from muzzle. On rear sight, put a small refrigerator magnet on the barrel, put the rear sight on it, hold the rifle up to a light like you are aiming at the light, look down the sights & have someone move the Rear Right forward on the barrel til you can see the sights clearly. Now take it 1-2" more forward & that will give you a clear sight picture & a lil more for your eyes aging. Were I a young person with good eyesight, I would go Min. of 9" from breech, as you eyesight will most likely change as you age. If using a rear sight that is not steel, use double sided tape instead of a magnet.

Keith Lisle

PS: I never worry about the sight being in the way of my hand. More important the sight be in the correct place, than me having to move my hand an inch or so when I carry the rifle. It is not like I am trekking with a rifle in hand for day after day, miles after miles.....

Yeap well said forget where the hand goes. You can carry the gun for days but when you pull it up if the sights are fuzzy so is your shooting typically.

Presently build only spec LRs and place the rear sight forward of the hand at the balance point and no buyer has complained....in fact some have complimented me on this location. Doing this, the rear sight ends up above the entry pipe......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpy said:
Many thanks to all for the good information. Thats my project for tomorrow.

Have ye done it yet?
It is said you can tell the age of the owner of an ml rifle by looking at where his rear sight is located.
Hold yer rifle in the shooting position. The have a friend slide the rear sight forward slowly until it looks as sharp as it will get for your eyes. That is the location to put it. Some are about halfway up the barrel. There ain't no rules except what is best for you.

Back