• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 54-cal sidelock CQB carbine version of the Kentucky Long Rifle.

That would be waaaaaay cool. A state of the art 1830s-era tactical entry weapon.

I'd have to track down a antebellum grenade launcher to sling underneath it.

Traditional muzzleloading . . . Rambo style.

Ben

Here's what I've been doing for my old eyes, this is a 1/4 " long piece of red 20 lbs. amnesia leader material used for fly fishing that I put on top of my front sight. I use clear nail polish to get it where I want it and then spot & I mean spot with super glue. I shows up very well in any kind of outdoor light from a shooters point of view. It's re-movable if you don't like it..
DSC04607.jpg

Pappa bear hit it dead on. When Hunting, our first responsibility is to our prey. If you can get a clean kill with period sights,more power to you, but I switched to a peep and white bead as my sight began to disapear when the meat started showing up(around five years ago). Period correctnes is great, but when we have the technology available to us to make our hunting more efficient, not to mention keeping ammunition away from the anti's, by means of wounding animals due to misplaced shots, we should embrace it and use it just as those that lived two hundred years ago took to percusion over flintlocks. I do appreciate the look and feel of a "traditional" piece as much as the next guy on this forum, however, I'll do whatever I have to do to make a clean kill.

Blackening your sights with a match or a candle may be old fashioned, but that's the way I was taught to do it when I was a kid. I was taught the same thing again later on in the service. It's a tried and true method of eliminating glare.

I like the idea of using the red fishing line. That might be a good compromise between effective and period correct. I'm sure that guys 200 years ago were pretty inventive. I could see someone gluing something that captured light to the top of the front sight to make it easier to see. That's not outside the realm of possibility.

I think I'll try that.

Ben

Back