• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighted in the Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a Hawkens about a month ago and finally got to shoot it Saturday. It's a tad to the right but that was good enough for the first time out.Three shots at 100yds.

HawkenTarget001.jpg

FinishedHawkens014.jpg

FinishedHawkens013.jpg

FinishedHawkens012.jpg

FinishedHawkens010.jpg

FinishedHawkens006.jpg

nice looking gun. what are you shooting ball? how much powder do you use? i have have shot mostly ball and throw 90 grains of pyrodex behind it. it kick a little ( i'm the runt in the family) but i can reach out and touch a 4 in. square at 135 yards repeatedly.

Kicks a little????? I should think so. 90 grains of Pyrodex will be giving you about 1900 fps ! That would be a heavy charge in a .50, but in the larger .54, I should think the recoil would be most noticeable.

You don't need that kind of velocity shooting a PRB, Tiger. The Factory data manual indicates that your load is equal to more than 110 grains of BP!

I suggest you back that charge down to 72 grains, for 1679 fps. Its more than enough, and will put that 1/2 oz. PRB right through a broadside deer out to your 130 yards.( 72 grains of Pyrodex RS is equal to 90 grains of Black Powder. Your actual velocity may vary with barrel length, and the loading components you use. This data comes from Hodgdon, the makers of Pyrodex powder.)

Latest posts

Back