• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting Distance for Woodland Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Actually it’s not too far off. I was intrigued with the post so I plugged the values into my Ballistic Calculator. Using a 13 yard zero, a 50 cal at 1800 FPS with a 177gr LRB with a BC of .07 produces +1” at 25Y, +1.5” at 50Y, +1” at 75Y, and -1” at 100. It was also very close when I plugged the values in for 58 and 45 cal.
I think using 80gr of powder to generate 1800FPS may is too generalized, and could vary based on the particular powder and rifle/barrel.

Yes, the 1800 with 80 grains of powder is fleeting.

I disagree with the .07 BC though.

Actually it’s not too far off. I was intrigued with the post so I plugged the values into my Ballistic Calculator. Using a 13 yard zero, a 50 cal at 1800 FPS with a 177gr LRB with a BC of .07 produces +1” at 25Y, +1.5” at 50Y, +1” at 75Y, and -1” at 100. It was also very close when I plugged the values in for 58 and 45 cal.
I think using 80gr of powder to generate 1800FPS may is too generalized, and could vary based on the particular powder and rifle/barrel.
What was the height of the sights above the barrel?

For deer I like closer; my average kill is likely around 30 yards. Rifles are sighted in at around 2" high at 50 yds which is point blank to 100 yards, and I've only had two at that range in my BP hunting career. Small game rifles are sighted in at 30 yards.

I shoot 80 grains of 2fg under a .530 round ball. My guns are zeroed at 50 yards. If I aimed dead on at 100 yards, Id be about 6 inches low.

Back