• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in difficulties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Tryon target rifle, 54 caliber, worked well with 50 grains of Goex 3f. You have to remember the basics. The patch fills the barrel grooves and grips the ball. When the patch is forced down the barrel, it forces the powder residue from the prior shot to the bottom of the barrel. When the rifle fires, the patch spins because it is locked in the groves due to the ball size. The ball is gripped by the patch because of the pressure of the ball against the patch. The spinning ball is far more accurate than a non-spinning ball.
Your ball and patch size are critical for good accuracy. That's why we measure our patches to the hundredth of an inch. Now with enough pressure (lotsa powder) behind the ball, the ball should obturate and force the patch into the grooves tight enough that the ball will spin. The trick though is to achieve this with less powder, as powder is gettin as hard to find as beaver. I would try a 530 ball and increase the thickness of the patch with 50 grains of 3f until you get accurate. Patches should be somewhere tween .15 and .22 of an inch. I use pillow ticking and wash it at least 3 times to get the sizing out. The patch should be soft and able to adsorb spit or moose milk. The ball patch combo will be tight and require a short starter to get it into the bore.
Now that is my thoughts on the subject. There are others that will give you other ideas to try. What you have to do is keep trying until you find your prefered method. Many have said that the best accuracy is achieved with the lowest powder charge that gets the ball to the target.

This arthritis in my left hand will soon take me out of shooting offhand. Maybe even off the bench. I thought I got what the OP said. Then got confused. So you got a 3/4 inch spread on those shots ? Nothing wrong with that. Unless you think you want to split the ball on an axe head at 100 yds. Please tell me what I'm missing here. Also, Those builders in York County, Pa make some excellent rifles. All three of them.

I was happy with that, but more the issue they were 7" low from where I was aiming. lots of good advice in here, I'm going to start with the powder charge as folks have mentioned, have a long way to go to get to where some folks are at 100grains.

Both my customs shot low - one was low right almost 7 inches like you. The other had a lower front sight and printed left.
Take advantage of the baseline advice here.
Find the load first. Get an accurate load first. You may not really need 100 grains.
Drift the sight to correct windage.
THEN file for elevation.
Don't get fixated on 100 yds. Better to be solid at 50 and 75.

Problem with humans is we want to get it done on the quick. Never happens. Take your time. One step at a time.

Almost all bases have been covered by previous comments, so I'll just say: keep at it with that beautiful rifle! Never heard of one that couldn't be made to shoot!

Indeed I will, learning these things and working it up is half the fun to me.
I'll just add one thing. You changed loads after your first group. You need to make sight adjustments with the same load, out of a swabbed barrel to get something repeatable and to know that you're sights are even where they need to be. Once you've done that, you can tune the component combinations to get different elevation and group size optimization.

After you've gotten something that groups tightly at the range you want it to, you can play with the elevation setting on the sights and fine-tune your windage as appropriate.

Latest posts

Back