• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sighting in hunting m.l.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When sighting in at 100 yrds.What is the best place to group? Two inches high or dead on? Another question do they make a safe n'dry kap kover for musket caps?

I sight in all my rifles dead on at 75 yards, which puts them about an inch high at 50, and most of them 2-3" low at 100. Works for me, my rifles and my poor old eyes. I can't shoot much past 100 anyway.

It depends upon the terrain you're hunting. I set mine for dead on at 75 yards as well. That puts it a few inches low at 100 and 2in highat 50.

My father sets it dead-on at 50yds, which is fine since he hunts thick woods.

skinner biscuit said:
When sighting in at 100 yrds.What is the best place to group? Two inches high or dead on?
I think you should always sight in for that unexpected long shot, not the short one you planned on. That gives you the advantage of making Point Blank Range work for you, and it will pay off. Here are my thoughts on sighting in a hunting rifle:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/trajectories.html

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Trench said:
It depends upon the terrain you're hunting.
I set mine for dead on at 75 yards as well.
That puts it a few inches low at 100 and 2in highat 50.
My father sets it dead-on at 50yds, which is fine since he hunts thick woods.

I zero all my PRB deer hunting loads dead on at 50 yards for a couple reasons:

1) 99% of my shots are 35-50 yards in the woods;

2) The 100 yard drop is 4"-5" so I know to hold up in the middle of the lung area instead down low at the heart, for anything further out in the 70-100 yard range.

BrownBear said:
I sight in all my rifles dead on at 75 yards, which puts them about an inch high at 50, and most of them 2-3" low at 100. Works for me, my rifles and my poor old eyes. I can't shoot much past 100 anyway.

I'm pretty close to that. 1-1/2" high at 50 yards and on at 85 yards with my .50 and .54. I figure anything to just a tad over 100 yards I aim center lung and I will be eating venison.

Back