• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting In My Muzzy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK3

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So I know I am currently shooting slightly low and 6 inches to the right. Correct me if I am wrong. I belive I should be moving my rear sight to the right to move the muzzle left. Am I right or wrong. Also drop the rear sight to lift the muzzle? Help

WARREN

you need to move the rear sight in the direction you want the ball to move. If you are shooting right move the sight left, if you are shooting left move the sight right. For elevation it works the same, move the rear sight up to raise bullet impact, and lower it to decrease bullet impact.

Depending on what type of sight set up you have you may need to lower the front sight to raise the point of impact. I take a file to the range and file and shoot remove it slowly! Geo. T.

I am siding with lorren on this. Move the rear sight in the same direction you want the group to move.................watch yer top knot.............

Thank you, you are correct.
I had a brain fart whilst typing,,

To be honest, I have the basic instructions for adjustable iron sights written inside my shooting boxes, and refer to it every time I need to make an adjustment.
It goes like this;

If the guns shoot's (the group is) to the Right,,
,,,,,,,,Adjust the Rear sight to the Left.

If the gun shoot's Left,,
,,,,,,,,Adjust the Rear sight to the Right.

If the gun shoots (the group is) Low,,
,,,,,,,,Elevate (raise) the Rear sight.

If the Gun shoot's High,,
,,,,,,,,Lower the Rear sight.

Now all that only works IF the front sight is the proper hight to allow the rear to adjust. If the desired aiming point can't be achieved within the range of the rear sight then the front needs to be either taller or filed down.
For all the shooting I do I could just as easy have fixed rear sights, I never touch'm after their set, :idunno:

Back