• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights and Dovetails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighole

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

What should the dimensions be for the dovetail slot in the barrel and the dovetail on the sight for say 3/8"?

I was told by a gunsmith the slot in the barrel will always be larger than 3/8" (.375) so the sight needs to be a bit larger than the 3/8" as well to get a proper fit.

I have a sight where the dovetail is exactly .375 but the slot on the barrel is .378.

Thanks!!

just take a prick punch and make a few marks in the barrel, the sight should fit snug in the slot, a fine file to take off a bit if there is too much of a dimple made. a few light taps should do it.

I also agree on punching the barrel on the little piece that is over the sight base. If you don't want round holes in the barrel, I would use a punch that was modified, so that it does not leave a hole. YOu could take a regular punch and grind it on the end a little, leaving the edges rounded.
Brian

I have tinned the underside of the sight base
adding enough material to make a very tight fit.
The solder can be filed flat and tapped into
possition and stay there...

Back