• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Please comment on and suggest a good sight combination? I have been using fixed buckhorn rear and a blade front sight, but am thinking of a peep/apeture with globe front, but not sure.

Any suggestions for hunting and target use?

Thanks again.

Tell us about your rifle and hunting, and we can probably help a lot. Sight changes are usually very easy and quite worthwhile, but there are so many options you need to be pretty specific what you hope to do.

As far as hunting, I think the open sight would be quicker to acquire a good sight picture. For target shooting, yeah, a peep/globe set-up would be great. Just make sure that if you plan to shoot at any matches that they allow that set-up. Most matches specify open sights and round ball only. Emery

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot with a Lyman 57 SML peep and either a Lee Shavers globe sight with a level or a Lyman 17 AMl globe. I use this set up for target and hunting.
Don't be afraid of drilling and tapping it is easy. You can also get a machine shop to do it if you have to but, Man it is very easy to do. Ron

I don't understand why you are considering the Dixie Hawken sight, it is still an open sight and the long bar will place it closer to the eye which is exactly the wrong thing for old eyes.
The Lyman 57 is a very nice sight with fine adjustments. It is big and bulky and looks a bit out of place on a ML rifle but works very well. To remain a bit more traditional I prefer something like this.
t-c28-6.jpg

Windage must be adjusted at the front sight but for a "sight-it-in-and-leave-it-alone" hunting rifle it works very well. You might want to check out the thread "peep sights on muzzleloaders".

I never could work a full-buckhorn rear, and a peep/aperature is definately the best in most cases but I chose a narrow blade front and flat-topped rear with fine notch for my .54 flinter. Good for the ranges a round ball is useful.

RearSight2.jpg

I have had good success with a hooded front post and open rear iron sights, also. Not authentic to most m/l but a great hunting sight; as in Marlins and Mosin-Nagants.

Back