• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

silver nose-cap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I see some guns with silver nose caps (not the CVA's)..I am doing a Lyman GPR kit and I want one.....Do I just polish the one that came with the kit and leave it silver OR are these "after market" from a different metal?

Please and thank you.

Wattsy,
Good question. I would like to know the answer to this too, and could I extend that to the trigger guard and but plate as well. I think a riffle might look good with bright silver furniture.
Kirby

I don't know about HC rifles, but some of the modern "silver" nose caps are pewter. Some are german silver. Pewter is fairly easy to do. There are a couple pewter tutorials out there. I did one my TC Hawken a few years ago.

I guess you could polish up the current nose cap, not blue it (keeping it "in the white"), and just seal it with wax or keep it oiled, but it will eventually start to grey on you.

You can also find german silver nose caps. Look HERE. Many different types to choose from.

There are some guys that can keep thier barrels in the white for many years, but I can't do it.

I am working on a gpr kit also and the silver is an idea. anyone have any pictures with nose cap trigger guard and buttplate silver. Also will the nose cap (15/16s)in the above link work? Thanks Larry

If the barrel on your GPR is 15/16 (which I think they are) then yes. But there will be some wood remover. You need to be carful as the under rib fits into the nose piece on the GPR. If the cap you buy is too small you may have a gap between the ends of the nose cap and the under rib.

Is THIS the one you're looking at?

polish it. i just did one of a cva mountain rifle and used 400-600-2000 grit (wet sand with the 2000 grit) and then used Flitz polishing compound. came out great.

Kentuckywindage said:
polish it. i just did one of a cva mountain rifle and used 400-600-2000 grit (wet sand with the 2000 grit) and then used Flitz polishing compound. came out great.

Thank YOU.....Do you have Pics? Please.

my camera batteries are charging. i'll get a better pic for u later tonight.
rifle1-1.jpg

here you go. I like the shiny silver look but its hard work getting the scratches out. mine still has some but i can live with it.
nice.jpg

cva4.jpg

My buddy did his GPR with the nose cap and barrel key escutchens (sp)in the white and everything else browned and it looks real good. Just polish the original parts up and don't brown them. Then keep them oiled up.

Kentuckywindage said:
here you go. I like the shiny silver look but its hard work getting the scratches out. mine still has some but i can live with it.
nice.jpg

cva4.jpg

Thats pretty. like that.

Dave Young said:
My buddy did his GPR with the nose cap and barrel key escutchens (sp)in the white and everything else browned and it looks real good. Just polish the original parts up and don't brown them. Then keep them oiled up.

Wedge pins too :hmm: sounds cool.

Back