• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple Turkey Call

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutabout

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Watched a guy on YouTube make a turkey call from piece of bamboo and rubber glove and he said he'd made them out of pill bottles so I tried this tonight and dang if it doesn't work pretty good. Used vitamin bottle - cut cap at 60% across and it screws back on - don't need to glue it but probably will anyway. Stretch piece of rubber paint glove across and tighten down with rubber band. Cut the bottom out of bottle.
Put bottom lip onto rubber glove "reed" half and blow. Gets cuts and chuckles and almost got it to gobble. Will with a little work. Pics attached :

TurkeyCall2.jpg

TurkeyCall1.jpg

Knight & Hale got there start back in the early 70s with what you just made there. They used to make them in Knights barber shop an sold them in Sports Afield magazine an of course most everyone knows THE REST OF THE STORY. I've got a few an they do a right nice job calling in longbeards. I really like to use them on windy days cause you can get really high volume with them :thumbsup:

This morning I experimented with taking that excess flap and pulling it loosely over the first layer and got a double cut !

Headed to the range to make smoke today. Just might have to pull off into the woods and try to call something up. No shooting , of course. Can't wait for the season to start up.

Yeh, no kiddin'! I'm experimenting indoors and just starting to make another from a smaller bottle for different sounds.

Neighbors foo foo dogs are gonna love me.

I like wing bone calls. Different sound, and few people know how to use or have a wing bone call. Seldom use mouth calls anymore. Mostly use box, slate and wing bone calls now days. I have permant blinds built out of slab boards and 2x4's with one inch boards on top with rubber roofing. binds are brushed in with pine branches. Do not have to worry about movement and I'm comfortable in a chair. Private land (mine).

I met a guy out in Texas a few years back who made them out of those brown medicine bottles with the snap on cap. He had several sizes of bottles but the one he used the most was about as big around as a quarter. He would cut the cap like in the picture,then stretch the rubber across the bottle and just snap the cap back in place to hold it.Of course you have to cut the bottom out of the bottle as well ( i think he did this wit a hack saw).If I remember correctly he made them different lenghts as well to help change the pitch & tone. :wink:

""different lengths as well to help change the pitch & tone""

That's what I've done - different diameter Rx pill bottles and vitamin bottles - I now have a flock of four and one actually gobbles like an old tom. It's a larger diameter.

I tried making one and I think I sounded like a cat caught in a hay baler! :haha:

You may have the rubber stretched too tight. Just lay it across flat and wrap it in place with a couple loops of a rubber band and then fold another layer across loose but a little shorter and wrap it with another rubber band.

I don't know why but each call has it's own personality - some do better with the diaphragm held level and some of mine I have to cock 45 degrees to the left or right. When I find each one's sweet spot I use a magic marker to draw an arrow pointing straight up so I know how to hold each one and that eliminates the cats from the flock ! . . .. .. . :youcrazy:

Back