• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single or set trigger for deer gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Which do you use for your deer hunting rifle; Single or Double set trigger? I am particularly interested in comments on the Davis Deerstalker replacements for TC Hawken rifles.

Probably an individual thing...but speaking for myself all I ever use are set triggers for everything...on all the T/C Hawkens I used to have, and now on all the long Guns with Davis DST's.
Found after hundreds of set trigger shots at the range BEFORE hunting seasons, it was more trouble than it was worth to try and remember which trigger I was going to use for hunting in the heat of the moment.
I even used set triggers for dove hunting back in September...simply turned the adjustment screw out a tad for the duration of the hunt to eliminate some sensitivity to avoid any AD's...worked perfectly.
Then I tweaked it back where I wanted it when I cleaned up afterwards.

As RB said, it is a personal choice. I prefer set triggers when there is time to use them. When time is too critical, my set triggers and lock are tuned to be pretty light, at about 2lb, just using the front trigger. That said, someone accustomed only to a single trigger, even with a heavy pull, is at little disadvantage at off the shoulder shooting. It is a matter of what you can best control in a given situation. For best accuracy from a bench rest, there is no substitute for set triggers for getting off a perfect shot from the shooters part of it.

I use and prefer set triggers for my deer guns.
My .54 GPR has the Davis Deerslayer triggers you asked about. They are great. Well worth the $ in my opinion. They dropped right in and were very easy to adjust. And they are a big improvement over the stock GPR triggers. :thumbsup:

Set. You dont HAVE to use the set but for longer shots or anything requiring a little more precission.. the set trigger is way gooder.

I`ve never been a fan of set triggers and prefer a single trigger on my hunting rifle. To me setting a trigger before taking a shot at game is just something extra to do and I don`t want to fool around with it when I`m trying to line up a shot.

The LRs I build have a trigger pull of 2-3 lbs which should be "just right" for hunting....all w/ a single simple trigger.

My TC Hawken and the Pecatonica Hawken rifles have DSTs but the rear or setting trigger is blocked w/ a steel piece that replaces the spring making it inoperable. Both of these rifles have front trigger pulls of 3-4 lbs and have killed many deer and elk.

For hunting, I prefer "simplicity" and this was vividly illustrated w/ an elk camp member who after climbing a slope and breathing hard, saw an elk and because of the light pull of his DST, prematurely missed 2 shots and was loading the 3rd when the elk walked away.

To each his/her own...but, why complicate shooting? My Garand in the Army had only a single trigger and I managed to score quite high w/ it.....Fred

Hunting dst 1+
All of my T/C's have the Davis deer slayer triggers...
They are worth it..it's that simple.

I have never had a MLR without double set triggers and I hunted with all of them. However I do not get crazy and keep the trigget pull at 1 pound. There was a time I went lighter but no more! Geo. T.

DST for hunting :thumbsup: I Love Em'. Even when I bow hunted I had my release set to where all you had to do was just touch the trigger and she would fire. Just stay away from the trigger until you're ready to fire. :wink: To me it's easier that way you can consentrate on your aim and you don't have to worry about squeezing/pulling the trigger.

If double trigger, I demand that the trigger be very good without ever bothering to pull the set trigger. The set trigger is mere bonus points for rested shots. If single trigger, it has to be very good too, or I go to working on it. Lotta my deer shooting is quick, and set triggers just get in my way except on the rare rested shot.

While most of my guns do have double set double phase triggers, I generally do NOT use the set when deer hunting. That's because up here in the cold northland I wear gloves and I don't want a few-ounce trigger pull as I'm afraid I can't feel it good enough and will shoot prematurely. But, I want my front trigger to be just a few pounds pull. I'd be perfectly happy with Stumpkiller's preference...a perfectly tuned single trigger.

All my flint rifles have double set triggers and this is what I prefer; only my fowler has a single trigger. I've only measured the trigger set on two of my rifles and they broke at 13oz. I don't wear gloves in the field so it's no problem.

I prefer a single, unsetable, PROPERLY DESIGNED AND ALIGNED trigger. Less to mess with and more room for gloved or mittenned fingers.
:thumbsup:

I have set triggers on my TC Hawkins..., I haven't shot them in more than a decade. I use single triggers for all my 'working' rifles and guns. The deer rifle kills deer out to 100 yards +/- 10 yards. I have a single, modern, set trigger on my modern, CZ bolt action SHTF rifle. :grin: But that's for another forum altogether. :haha:

LD

All my personal guns have single triggers set up for about 3 lb pulls. My personal view is that set triggers are a safety hazzard in Pa's late december flintlock season. It's usually blue a$$ cold! Cold stiff fingers, and touchy set triggers aren't a safe combo in my eyes. I am used to triggers set up this way for target shooting or hunting, year round. BJH

Back