• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single or Set Triggers For Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your preference, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? For instance are set triggers really loud enough to alert game?

I only use a set trigger on long shots
and reg trigger brush and thick tree
areas also safe that way!!!

and can apply pressure on front trigger
while setting the hammer no noise!!!
ken

Mattole said:
What is your preference?
Set triggers at the range year round so the habit is ingrained in the subconscious by the time hunting seasons roll around and I use set triggers for all hunting as well;
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Increased precision in accuracy, no disadvantagtes that I've ever experienced;
For instance are set triggers really loud enough to alert game?
On a rare occasion when a deer has been close in dead quiet woods I've had a couple of them stop walking to listen further, which was actually a benefit as I shot them standing still...but normally I see them coming far enough away through the trees to remove a glove, set the trigger, remove the hammer stall, etc, before they're close enough to hear anything like that.

It's all going to come down to personal preference. I hunt with set triggers only, because that's the way I shoot at the range. Like Roundball explained, once your trigger finger gets accustomed to a certain feel, it becomes a part of your muscle memory. With consistancy being such a big part of muzzleloading, I don't want to be a switch hitter when it matters the most.

What I don't understand is why some people don't set their trigger until after they see game, or after they pull the hammer back. Just more delays and more "clicks" when you are trying to pull down on a deer. I set the trigger as soon as I enter hunting grounds, which is usually about five feet from my jeep.

These are just my preferences. Everybody eventually finds his own comfort zone. Bill

My favorite is the double phase trigger. It functions as both a set trigger and a simple trigger. If you want, and the situation calls for it, you set it in the normal way. If the deer gets too close and you are afraid of the noise, or if a deer jumps up, surprises you close in, just forget about the set mechanism and shoot like a single, simple trigger. When used as a simple trigger the release pressure is a little heavier, but still lighter than many simple triggers and with a crisp and clean release. I only have one trigger like this, made by L & R Lock Co., but I wish all triggers worked that way.

Spence

Too many years of hunting with centerfire guns.

One trigger has always worked for me.

Not sure why anybody needs more than one crisp 3lb trigger? :idunno:

Capper said:
Too many years of hunting with centerfire guns.

One trigger has always worked for me.

Not sure why anybody needs more than one crisp 3lb trigger? :idunno:

I guess the key is whether one can get a single trigger on a muzzloader to a crisp 3lbs. I'm too new to the game to know..

roundball said:
On a rare occasion when a deer has been close in dead quiet woods I've had a couple of them stop walking to listen further, which was actually a benefit as I shot them standing still...but normally I see them coming far enough away through the trees to remove a glove, set the trigger, remove the hammer stall, etc, before they're close enough to hear anything like that.

Well sir I have seen photo evidence your kit and your skills so I'm standing up and listening to your advice!

I demand a very good front trigger on my rifles with set triggers. I use that most of the time and only set the rear trigger when I've got lots of time and a rested shot.

If a single trigger rifle has as good a trigger as that, I don't miss the set trigger. But if the front trigger or the single triggers are stinkers, it's time for change.

my renegade has a set trigger, and so far the only deer ive shot with it was far enough and slow enough that i could use the set trigger with no problem. if it was closer or a faster shot was needed i would just use the front trigger. although i need to do some adjusting on my triggers now that i think about it... set trigger was very stiff the last couple of times i shot it.

I think if you favor a single trigger you are better off using a pin through the stock on which the trigger rotates, this pin can be mounted fairly high which vastly improves the trigger pull over some single triggers that are pinned to tabs of the trigger plate.

Hello,

My squirrel rifle (Savage MKII BTVS, heavily modified by yours truly) has a set trigger now. Five pounds without the set, and about 1.5lbs with the set.

I like it for all times except when the action is hot and heavy and in close. Lets me touch long shots off.

But then again, it wears a 4.5x to 14x 'scope.

My muzzleloader has a very good, crisp, light trigger. Less than 5lbs... I'm guessing more like 3 or 4. Haven't measured it yet, don't know that I will - it's just that good.

Splitting sticks at 30 to 50yds standing is not a problem.

Given that it will not be used for over 100yds (and indeed, the sights are too course for over that range), the way it is right now is perfect. Except is a Bobcat and I really, really want a wooden stock for it :cursing:

If I build my long range side- or boxlock hybrid target/hunting ML like I plan, with long barrel, .58 caliber, and period 3x 'scope, it will likely get a set trigger for the longer shots. However, that's just something I'd use to try to show up the modern inlines, which I tend to think of as high powered rifles for all intents and purposes, just a way to circumvent the spirit of the law while sticking to the letter. Fired a couple sabots out of my Bobcat yesterday and I felt cheap. Wanted to see if I could do it so I can legally test .45acp bullets on deer at .45acp velocities (.45acp will take deer just fine, but not legal here). The accuracy is there, but I felt so dirty afterward!

But I digress.

Open sights = single trigger.

Period 'scope and/or target sights = set triggers.

Josh

A simple, single trigger w/ a pull of 3 lbs is how I set set them up and on the MLers that must have double set triggers {Hawkens, etc}, the setting trigger has a "block" so it's inoperable and the front trigger is tuned for a 3lb pull...both my elk rifles have this done. Went elk hunting w/ a buddy and when he saw a cow, he set the trigger and as he was "getting on" the ribs, the gun went off resulting in a clean miss. This happened again after a quick reload and
eventually the cow walked away. Needless to say, he had me "block" the set trigger after the hunt because he realized that after climbing at 10,000 ft elevation and w/ the excitement of seeing elk, he was "huffing and puffing" and just couldn't "touch the trigger lightly". Although many use a DST, I find them an over complication of a simple mechanism when hunting, but people use what they like...who ever said "life is complicated" was correct. :grin: ...Fred

BrownBear said:
"...if the front trigger or the single triggers are stinkers..."

And as much as I used and enjoyed many T/C Hawkens for many years, the front trigger on every one I had was horrible and is what made me use set triggers all those years...fast forward 18 years, got some long rifles now but after all those years and about 12,000 shots, they all wear Davis #6 double set triggers in spite of Davis having excellent front triggers.

For me, it's not complex or complicated at all, totally routine...what would have made things tricky would be if I had started mixing rifles with and without double set triggers...but this way every rifle I use operates exactly the same way and its all handled by the subconscious...so when I'm hunting, my whole focus is getting the front sight lined on a path to a deer's heart, and it works for me...

Wick Ellerbe said:
Because we are all different. A 3 lb trigger to me is a tad too heavy for deliberate shooting.

Not sure what you call deliberate shooting?

It's worked for me for 60 years of hunting. I'm careful on picking my shots, but I can't remember when i've made a bad shot.

I think you'll find that the majority of good hunting guns will have close to a 3lb trigger.

It makes no sense in having a trigger heavier than 3lbs, and lighter is dangerous except for the very calm. Not always easy when a Bull Elk is in your sights. Plus it's too light for shooting with gloves.

Gloves are another reason I don't like double triggers. Not always enough room. Depending on triggergard.

Now, if you're talking about target shooting. That's different, but not the topic.

Mattole said:
What is your preference, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? For instance are set triggers really loud enough to alert game?

I've used both and prefer a single trigger. Most times I am out hunting it is glove cold. I had one lost deer to my Renegade when I tried to set the trigger and ended up shooting WAY over his back when my wool glove snagged and I tried to get my finger in. Couldn't have been buck fever on my part. :wink: Some double trigger bows don't allow a gloved finger in the opening. I also tend now to use fingerless "glomitts" when hunting. It was a nice buck. :(

A good single trigger with light and crisp release is a pleasure. I just find it easier to deal with the one trigger and not have to reposition my grip or remember extra operations to get off a fast shot. KISS.

Touched a set trigger too many times with cold fingers and shot over the deer I thought was headed to my house with me.

When I built my first gun I used a factory trigger plate and trigger, ended up with at least a 10# pull.

I made a new trigger plate, cold forged a trigger and pined it in using a trigger geometry formula I found in the archives and have a nice 3# trigger.

I plan to put a double set trigger on my third build of a slender squirrel rifle but don't want one on any of my deer rifles.

This is about like argueing which is better a semi auto or revolver for personal defense...

Use whichever you are most familiar with because in a stressful (excited) situation you don't want to have to think about what to do...

I have used set trigger for over 30 year with no problem...For close shots, no need to set, for longer ones or minute of squirrel head, I set...

Back