• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single shot pistol advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m with Woody, non starter in a flintlock. It might work in percussion but a loose powder load of t7 works well because some of powder drops into the patent breech and under the nipple so ignition is near instantaneous. The pellet will not enter the breech. I would expect hang fires.

As I understand, pellets have a small section of black powder on the base of the pellet to aid in ignition - or at least used to. Works good with inlines and revolvers since "fire" comes in from the bottom of the pellet. Using pellets with a drum - shooting "fire" from the side can miss that portion, instead trying to ignite compressed BP substitute.

Now, this may have changed over the years, don't know. Back in the day, we used a small amount of BP, then the pellets. Before doing that, missfires and hangfires as well as "flying fizzles" were fairly common with side ignition caplocks. Never tried pellets in my flintlocks.

Back