• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single Shot Pistol Choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarclay

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at a single shot pistol and am leaning toward the lyman as I have a GPR, but the Traditions look nice as well. Does anyone have experience with these and what is the better choice?

I think you may find the majority leaning toward the Lyman offerings due to quality, etc.
That is not to say however, that Traditions are no good, in fact I like both. A lot depends on whether you customize them any or not, or whether accuracy is a primary concern.
You can do a heck of a lot with a 120buck Traditions kit-even making a Pioneer into a semi-fine dualer.
Or get one already built, and leave it as is.
For the quality, I'd have to say Lyman.
There is one downfall with there pistols though:
They only have one model. Only difference is caliber. :(
The .54 does have an edge over the Traditions offerings if you like a slightly bigger bore.
For some fun and enjoyment with building or just plinking around-go with Traditions.
For accuracy and "fair" Italian quality-go with Lyman
Both brands seem to make different people happy in different ways.
Since you have a Plains rifle-you may wish to mate it with the companion pistol. This could be a big decision maker in itself-and one that I would really consider.
If your rifle is a .54-get the same for pistol-cast same balls.
Hope this helps.
-sleepy-

I am pleased with my traditions trapper in 50 cal.
I cracked the original nipple, wood to metal fit is good, finish as well.
Out of the box/no adjustments needed, shooting me into the high 80's and 1 92! trigger is adjustable(set triggers) shooting 24 gr 3f.
I am pleased although nothing to do but shoot it and maintain it!
Their upgrade from this model is a shooter as well.

Brett

I'm in the same boat JB. I've been looking a lot too. The trouble I've had is that there are few to be where you can lay your hands on them, I'm at the mercy of photos. I think a consideration between Lyman and Tradition is price with Traditions being the cheap choice. I've heard some talk that Traditions is kinda inferior but I have a few of their rifles and find them excellent shooters

Slake said:
I'm in the same boat JB. I've been looking a lot too. The trouble I've had is that there are few to be where you can lay your hands on them, I'm at the mercy of photos. I think a consideration between Lyman and Tradition is price with Traditions being the cheap choice. I've heard some talk that Traditions is kinda inferior but I have a few of their rifles and find them excellent shooters

Quality for quality they are both top shelf with great warrenties (the same "lifetime" warrenty as T/C and other major manufacturers). Traditions has a wider variety but not in .54, Lyman does have the .54. Traditions also offers a few models in flint, the Lyman Plains pistol comes percussion only.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

If you have to have 54 caliber- Deer Creek also carries pistol kits in 54 caliber.

I have a Lyman Plains Pistol .50 Cal. Great pistol and very happy with my choice. Shoots great also.

I keep looking at the Lymans, I may end up with one. They look nicely built and they don't carry a huge pricetag

Back