• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skinning Squirrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I enjoy squirrel hunting more than probably any other hunting. Deer are easy; they don't run from me for whatever reason. Squirrel, on the other hand, are something else.

I also enjoy eating 'em.

There's a problem I've been running into, especially this year: Most of the fox squirrels won't skin!

By this I mean, I know two different methods: Slice under the tail, or slice along the back.

Using either method, it's not been working this year. I've not changed anything since last year.

The problem, specifically, is that they pull apart before the skin comes off.

Early on in the season I thought it was just because there was not enough winter fat stored up yet between the meat and the skin.

However, I took a friend's boy out for the first time (told of this elsewhere) and we did take one - the second biggest one I've ever seen - but he just would not skin out. He pulled apart and I had to trash him.

I do NOT like wasting game like that. Not one bit.

I am about ready to start inflating 'em with my air compressor and a sharpened ball filling needle, but that carries inherent risks and seems to be too much trouble.

Any help here? Please?

Thank you,

Josh

Hi Swampy,

That is my exact procedure.

Only something's wrong. It is taking meat with it.

Thanks for the video!

Josh

Big ole fox squirrels can be a bear to skin, their hide is attached with super glue I think. One thing that I do that helps is clean them almost as soon as they hit the ground, I use the cut under the tail method BTW. I have found the skin comes off a lot easier when they are still warm, I carry an empty wal mart plastic bag to put my cleaned squirrels in. Hope this helps, Chris

Josh,
I agree with AW.I use the cut in the back method,usually without any problem. But,with
Fox tree rats,if they get some age on them,which many do.....You just have to skin them out with a
sharp knife. Don't take that much longer and will save the meat.IMHO

I do it the way Swampy video.No problems.Cold or warm.Make sure your relief cuts roll to belly side.

Back