• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skunked on tags, need hog advice.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can't find good private property to hunt hogs on, try the CA central coast. Look for an outfitter that will put you on pigs. The coastal pigs are plentiful and bigger than what we normally see in the Central Valley.

Pigs go nocturnal when hunted hard. An outfitter will know where they are located and put you on them. And guided CA pig hunts aren't nearly as expensive as guided elk hunts in CO.

GW

High fences are generally not to keep animals and trespassers out, but to keep deer in. They are usually erected by deer breeders and are a volatile subject of which I will speak no more.

A five strand barbed wire fence is not going to stop any wild animal in Texas, certainly not deer and hogs.

It's been a couple of decades since I've been in Tom Green county, but this is the sentiment that I heard at that time. BTW if it is measured in acres it is probably a farm, if it is measured in sections it is probably a ranch.

Sean most Southern states are lousy with wild pigs. Here is a link to a 2012 map and it has only gotten worse to date!
http://www.csp-inc.org/2016/01/02/study-maps-potential-spread-of-wild-pigs/

Most states consider them, such as here in Florida we consider them nuisance animals. A bunch of wild hogs will tear up a crop of any piece of land where there is something they will root to eat. When there done it looks like a bomb has gone off. They can literally do thousands of dollars in damage overnight to crops!
In Florida there is no season and no limit! Of course you do have to get permission to hunt them on private land and be respectful and offering a hog to the farmer always helps to pave the road to good relations!!
There are some hosses out there but as previously stated the young one make the best table fare!! Think of it as vacation and a hunt in one!! Go see a part of the country you don't normally see and have a hunt of the lifetime.
One word of warning a wounded hog can turn on you in a heart beat and those cutters are bad news if you are on the ground where it can get too you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean

I went pig hunting in OK for the first time a few weeks ago.

It was really hot when we were there. Shot 2 pigs just before sunset, should of had 3. Only hunted for two days.

The landowner is a friend of mine, but we also hunted his uncles land near by.

I think if you made some calls to the local game wardens they could give you some names of locals that would let you hunt for free.

I have called game wardens or wildlife biologist in every new place I hunt. They are usually full of good info and willing to help.

We are making plans to come back in Feb.

Yes pigs are smart, but they are not smarter than most people.

Fleener

Choctaw said:
High fences are generally not to keep animals and trespassers out, but to keep deer in. They are usually erected by deer breeders and are a volatile subject of which I will speak no more.

A five strand barbed wire fence is not going to stop any wild animal in Texas, certainly not deer and hogs.

What we are seeing in East Texas in an increase in illegal/trespassing hog hunters.

They pop the wires on 5 strand steel fence post
fence and jump the 4 footed mules and return the wire to the original position. Makes it hard to know when they have trespassed.

Deer proof fences makes it too much work to trespass and easier to find where they have been.

They hunt with dogs and tracking collars.

Catch a dog and tie it to a tree and wait.
Give it a bowl of water and call the Game Warden, when the dog owner shows up, he is trespassing and if armed, he has a felony in Texas.

satx78247 said:
Go near water, look for a hog-wallow, build a blind, put out corn/sweets & sit over your cache of food. = The hogs will come to you

I have found that the bait,(think corn or day old pastry), lasts a lot longer if you dig a hole about 2' deep, with a post hole digger, to put the bait in. If you soak the corn in warm water for a day before use, its a better attracter. It swells and sours.....robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with the increase in poachers you guys are seeing in East Texas. A friend of mine lives in Appleby and he said it has gotten terrible. I hate criminals and I sure feel bad for y'all.

Our place is in West Texas and the only problem we have had so far is the USDA "accidentally" aerial gunning of hogs without permission, then being stupid enough to argue that we gave them permission. lol

Back