• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief got a gobbler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Turkey opener is a short sleepless night away now. :thumbsup:

I had my eye on a Tom with four hens this evening as they went to roost.

Can't wait to see how they act in the morning!!!

Good luck all, Skychief.

Skychief I hope you get a nice tom .Waiting on the opener is tough .Have a great hunt . Tom :grin:

Don't know how you made out Skychief, but I was done 30 minutes after shooting time. Darn cold out this morning felt more like openning day of deer gun season in November! Even had a dusting of snow on the ground. Sure was nice the old bird was roosted close to the blind. I've had days when the bird didn't show up until 3PM. that makes for a long day. Heavy bird, nice hooks must have been a 3 or 4 year old bird. Piled all my stuff next to blind and went back for the truck. Too old to carry stuff I don't have to.

Oh what a wonderful morning I had!

Does anything smell better than the smoke of black powder in April???? :haha:

Hope to have a write up about the mornings hunt soon.

Gotta go see my Ol' buddy Spence about putting' a picture or two on the board for me. :hmm:

Gobble, gobble, .....Skychief.

Today was the turkey opener in Indiana, and like most, it started out with dreary weather. A steady rain and high winds beat on my truck as I parked at my friends farm. I questioned my sanity as I was "going in" with a flintlock fowler.

Today was the flinter's maiden voyage where turkeys were concerned. Despite the weather, I would use the fowler, prepped with some preventative rain resistance measures. Some of them lifted from a recent thread here. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I placed my usual setup of two hens and one Jake dummy at the edge of the bean field which borders a good sized river. This is the same property that I killed last year's Tom.

The farthest decoy was twelve yards from the box elder tree that my back would rest against. The nearest was ten yards away.

As dawn stubbornly arrived, I made a couple of tree yelps on a slate call, holding it under my chin so that it didn't get so wet it would decide to quit on me.

Didn't hear a thing.

Tried a few louder yelps about a half hour later.

Still nothing. Hearing no gobbles didn't come as a surprise as wet as the morning was.

I had resigned myself to the belief that the birds would not fly down for another hour or so. They can be so moody.

They can also be sneaky and unpredictable....

After my louder yelp session, and, my prediction regarding the turkeys timetable for fly down, I scanned the field to my left.

Oh my! Where did they come from?

Two gobblers about a hundred yards out and closing quickly. :shocked2:

I hurriedly shucked my oiled leather rainguard from the lock and hoped I wouldn't get caught getting that forty-plus inch barrel up and pointed in the general vicinity of my dekes. Being used to Ole Betsy, my short barrelled twelve gauge, the long fowler barrel seemed like a ten foot javelin! :doh:

I just knew I was gonna be busted.

I wasn't.

Both Toms mingled with my little "spread", strutting and revolving as we hope for them too. I enjoyed watching them for a few minutes, and then, picked one of them out. He was thirteen yards out.

Funny things can run through a guy's mind before taking a shot. I had two this morning.

My first thought was "this thing better go off"! :haha:

Secondly, I reminded myself, "follow through".

The gun did the first, and I muttled through the second. What a great hunt for my first flintlock gobbler.

Like a hunt a couple of years ago, I heard no gobbling whatsoever today.

The hunt didn't last very long, just a half hour past legal shooting time. I took him at seven o'clock.

He weighed twenty-three pounds, with an eleven inch beard and inch spurs.

I will go ahead and post this and dear friend Spence will post a couple of pictures later on (I hope).

Thanks for listening guys, and, good hunting!

Best regards, Skychief.

Fantastic, Skychief, and I'm really relieved to see that you are smart enough to switch to a flintlock. I was getting worried about you. :haha: :haha:

Beautiful bird.

Spence

Congrats on the ThunderChicken!! just keep listening to Spence an everything will be alright :bow:

Hey, thanks Spence for the picture posting. You're the best!

Thanks for the attaboys guys!

I haven't sworn off caplocks completely fellers, but, I have to admit an added component of excitement (terror? :haha: ) was realized this morning with the flintchlock. :thumbsup:

About listening to Spence.....that's partly what's gotten me into this mess!!! :wink:

I have poured over his "notebook" and still relish the ideal of a "do-it-all" smoothbore.

Hope all have fun afield, Skychief. :hatsoff:

PS: If any of you are reading this and curious about, but, haven't turkey hunted with a muzzleloader.....what are ya waiting for???? It's some of the most fun a man can have in this life!!!! Go for it!!!!!!

Skychief said:
Leave it to me to pass along a picture 90° askew. :doh:

Sorry that it's hard to view, it's on me, not Spence!
Sorry I didn't pick that up, but it's no problem.

It's still beautiful.

Spence

Congrats on a fine bird and a great story .Your smile says it all . Tom :thumbsup:

Back