• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief got a gobbler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! :hatsoff:
Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt. A good tale and well told. That is one fine looking bird. :thumbsup:

Skychief tell us about your fowler and the load that you used . I want a fowler and don't have a clue about them . Tom :idunno:

sooner said:
Skychief tell us about your fowler and the load that you used . I want a fowler and don't have a clue about them . Tom :idunno:

I've had it for a couple of years and bought it from a forum's classified section (possibly here, but, I don't recall).

I'm far from an expert on fowlers, but, it's based on the French Tulle. It was built by Brian Turner of Corinth Mississippi.

I had only shot some squirrels with it before using it as a gobbler-getter yesterday.

I worked up the best turkey load that I could find over the last few months. My findings were unusual in one way....

It shot its densest patterns by using two "over the powder hard cards" ON TOP OF THE SHOT. It was a constantly repeatable difference too.

I wrote a thread about this and included like results for two of my friends smoothbores.

They too are ardent turkey hunters and they are carrying loads with two of the hard cards atop their shot loads.

The turkey load I used was 65 grains of Goex 2f, one hard card, 1 1/2 ounces of #6 shot, followed by Two more of the hard cards.

I would be confident with this load to 25 yards for gobblers.

It's funny how I like to tinker with load experimentation, only to shoot them pretty close in the end. :haha:

I'll still tinker though (actually talked a friend out of some #5 shot this morning at breakfast to try), just cuz I likes ta shoot!!! :thumbsup:

If I can tell you more, I'd be happy too.

Best regards, Skychief.

Beautiful bird Skychief! I have a 16 ga. Griffen barrel in a stock that I need to start work on when my heath gets better. I plan on doing some squirrel hunting this fall with it.

I appreciate all of the replies guys!

Hope this thread lights a fire inside some of you hunting or thinking of hunting the noble and majestic Meleagris gallopavo!!! :grin:

As a bonus to the fun hunt, Meleagris gallopavo hits the spot with some beans and spuds. :thumbsup:

Good hunting, Skychief.

The figure in that wood is so beautiful, I don't think anyone noticed the orientation.

That is one beautiful smoothie. And a real trophy gobbler. What a day! You have every reason to be proud, and happy. :hatsoff:

You, too, Spence. You have brought a lot of us to a fuller realization of the Dark Side. :hatsoff:

Skychief said:
Grumpa said:
You, too, Spence. You have brought a lot of us to a fuller realization of the Dark Side. :hatsoff:

I just had a thought..Spence may be the Darth Vader of the muzzleloading community. :hmm: :idunno: :haha: :thumbsup:

Maybe Yoda...? :hmm:
:wink:

Congratulations!! Looks like a great morning.

Good looking bird. Good looking gun.

Greg

Back