• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slings on Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmeredith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When did rifle slings begin to make their appearance on American made rifles? I was looking at the Pedersoli Yaeger which comes in both flintlock and precussion. Both are set up for slings. When did slings become a hit? Would the flintlock version be historically correct with hardware for a sling?

Thanks

Slings on other than American military guns did not get popular until the 20th c. Although some early guns did have them, they would be considered rare. A sling on a Jaeger would not be too out of place. Maybe even common, but a Jaeger is not commonly an American gun. Stophel could tell you more about that.

Most consider them uncommon on longrifles, there are some surviving guns with sling accomadations and I see no reason to automaticaly place them in a milita context but they would be rare as Wick stated, my own suspicion is that a length of cordage or cloth might have surved the purpose if needed this only based on something I had to do once.The thing to remember is that most everyone traveled by horse at the time which may change the percieved need for a sling we have in our 21st minds. If historical correct is the goal the Pedorsali Jaeger probably falls short enough that the sling would be a minor issue, one needs to look at the entire gun when determining the level of "correctness" IMHO

Slings are universal on 18th century German guns, but when those gunsmiths came here and started making rifles, the slings disappeared almost immediately, for reasons I simply do not know. Some of our earliest rifles have sling swivels (or had them at least!), but by the time of the Revolution they were pretty much completely gone. Still, you do see them on the occasional rifle afterwards, so it's not like they didn't exist, but I don't recall seeing one on anything after 1800 or so until the Civil War.

I do not think that if you see a sling swivel hole, that the gun had to have been for militia service. If that were the case, I would actually expect to see a lot more of them!

"I do not think that if you see a sling swivel hole, that the gun had to have been for militia service. If that were the case, I would actually expect to see a lot more of them!"

I agree with that one though some seem to really be convinced that there were none in civilian usage :idunno:

That Pedersoli has a straight bbl and to me is really a cartoon version of a Jaeger.
From Pedersoli a Bess or Bess kit would be the better PC buy.

You could also order a real Jeager parts set "kit" from Jim Chambers.

Way back in the 1970 Muzzle Blast ran an extended series of articles on Longrifles.

When they got to the Rev, War era there were several shown with trigger guards that were extended in front of the trigger and drilled for a sling swivel. I would put slings in the rare but not unheard of catagory.

It has also been suggested that a longrifle did not handle as well during parade marching as did the regulation musket.

During the Revolution, the Continental Army did everything they could to GET RID OF RIFLES and arm all soldiers with muskets and bayonets. That's what won battles. :wink:

It's an interesting question from my perspective---which is western fur trade---in that most artwork of the period shows slung rifles. Yet, of the fur trade era rifles I've examined, I really can't think of one that was set up for a sling--no swivels, buttons, etc., nor any evidence of them.

This leads me to wonder about extemporized slings that tied onto the rifles. Having a slung rifle on a horse makes sense---reins are in the left hand, rope to the pack string is in your right--let's see, is the rifle clenched between your teeth?

Rod

Rod L said:
This leads me to wonder about extemporized slings that tied onto the rifles. Having a slung rifle on a horse makes sense---reins are in the left hand, rope to the pack string is in your right--let's see, is the rifle clenched between your teeth?

Rod

Well stated Rod, but as far as "extemporized slings that tied onto the rifles", keep in mind that sights on original long rifles and even many later half stocked rifles had notoriously low sights, anything tied around the barrel would almost certainly interfere with sighting. This would include rope and even a piece of heavy fabric that was strong enough to carry the weight of said rifle. Even a light piece of leather (5 or 6 oz. weight minimum) would interfere with the ability to use the sites. Not disagreeing with the possibility that this was done, just sayin'..... :idunno:

Back