• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sloppy rear sight….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gollywomper

32 Cal
Reaction score
IMG_1112.jpegIMG_1113.jpegIMG_1114.jpegFinally got around to shooting the Tradition mountain rifle a bit more with my cast bullets. Last time out I noticed some horizontal stringing on my group, I did not take notice as the wind was blowing a good bit. This time I noticed it again. Toward the end of my session I noticed my rear sight moved side to side. Not in the dovetail, but where the sight screw to the dove tail. See pics. I will see what Traditions has to say tomorrow morning.

I was a bit suspect when I got the rifle and the screw looked to have been fussed with.

I don't know much about factory guns, but that is a oddball rear sight. Looks like someone tried to tighten the screw & buggered it up. I would recommend either filing the base of the sight so there is no gap between the sight's notch and the dovetail piece, or scrap it altogether & get a new rear sight that fits the dovetail. They aren't expensive, the shipping cost will be more than the sight cost.

The screw isn’t all the way in. It’s either loose or striped and needs tightened up and or replace the screw. You shouldn’t see light or the screw at the junction.

The screw isn’t all the way in. It’s either loose or striped and needs tightened up and or replace the screw.
It does not matter how tight the screw is, it still moves. The sight vs dovetail adapter tolerance is not tight enough.

I will double check my CvA mountain rifle later, however I believe they one is a machined fit and not sloppy.
That screw is not enough to keep the sight from twisting a bit regardless how tight one might get it. I may try to shim it to take the slip out.

Mine the screw goes all the way through to the barrel. Then it pushes on the barrel to tighten up the base.

Back