• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slug gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really don't need another project yet but I still have the itch for a bench rest slug gun. The kind with a 20# barrel and paper patches, false muzzles and 2 part bullets. I've found some info on the web but would like to get a book on making one. Or a good source of info. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rice Barrel Co. makes match barrels with false muzzles. They probably make as good a barrel as anyone.

Most of the guns are made by the owners.Some guns are purchased, but most of what you see on the firing lines are made by the shooters. There are about 200 slug gun shooters who regularly compete against each other in NMLRA and local events across the country. If you shoot enough, you very soon meet about all of them. They are a very nice group of people, among a much larger class of classy folks. You will enjoy shooting the gun. And you will find all kinds of help from fellow shooters. :thumbsup:

While browsing the Rice Barrel Co. web page I noticed that they say several times "round ball only". I assume that's because of the rate of twist being slow. At what rate would it be possible to use a conical or slug? What would happen if a slug was fired through a slow twist? If a round ball is preferred then why did shooters like Pope use a slug? I guess what I'm asking is which would be more accurate if the gun was designed around it? Maybe this question is too vauge I realize.

Latest posts

Back